Last one- a little gray bastard

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Earlier, in May I ran into a wonderful small (size #18) caddisfly hatch. They bugs hatch sporadically a day long, but the trout seem to ignore them for the most part. Although I was seeing them fly around over the river I was not able to catch many emerging caddis in my seine. When I finally got a couple good macro photos of the adult insect I sent them off to my entomologist friend to help ID the caddis. BTW, catching caddis to photograph is not easy they never stop moving. He came back a few hours later saying he guessed the caddis is genus Glossosoma (intermedium or nigrior). Now it is starting to make some sense. These guys generally work their way toward the bank to hatch, not often in the drift. The adults after swarming over the river in mass a few nights the females dive into the river to lay their eggs. My fishing improved dramatically and my waders were covered in small round caddis eggs.

John

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Last one- a little gray bastard

Post by Eric Peper »

I see you felt it necessary to use the name we chose for this bug many years ago. I believe it came about as a response to the question, "What'd that fish eat."

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Last one- a little gray bastard

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Eric Peper wrote:
07/01/20 12:06
I see you felt it necessary to use the name we chose for this bug many years ago. I believe it came about as a response to the question, "What'd that fish eat."

Eric
Eggsackly! :lol And.. yes, I have never forgotten that.

John

FosterB
Sport

Post by FosterB »

Glossosomma is indeed a small caddis. They are “turtle” case makers and adhere to clean river rocks and generally unavailable to trout whilst in the larvae stage. But of course when hatching a good pupa or emerger pattern can be just the ticket in a small size. I prefer Gary LaFontaine’s patterns and for a dry a good G&H Sedge or Goddard Caddis work great and float all day without hardly any floatant. Don’t try anything that’s complicated to tie or has a lot of bling, my experience is that the simpler patterns work best
Cheers
Barry
ps. I like the original name cause they are little grey bastards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”