The Summer Trip Comes Early Tomorrow

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

The Summer Trip Comes Early Tomorrow

Post by Flykuni3 »

And that old pal o' mine, Marcelo the Excitable Boy, and yours truly will head north from Southern California along the great interstate known as 395. Am supposed to be at his door at 6:30 a.m., yeah, right.

We will escape the suburbs of Los Angeles, traverse the coastal mountains and San Andreas fault. Descend into the hot Mojave desert, not far from where the Space Shuttle landed on the lakebed. Ahead of that we'll pass through tilted geology, and begin to hit a higher desert region. And then, when the fairly recent lava flows appear dark and craggy, and I begin to wax far too waxily, we will enter the long Owens Valley. Wax off, We are going fishing, dammit. We are hitting the best waters, doing all our cooking (Marcelo is an Argentinian sort of fellow and he loves to cook), avoiding public places like restaurants and we will thoroughly enjoy our selfish selves, leaving all worldly cares three hundreds miles behind us.

My sole problem with the boy is that he's a graphitist. He's not much of a gear guy. I clean his lines, check for sand in his reels (they're often dry, not a spec of lube in them), and he fishes other people's flies, which I never do. I am weird, I don't feel right if I catch a fish on somebody's fly. But he can fish. And too much: he refused to come in from the Madison when the wind turned into a hurricane, he developed blisters on his rod hand. He forgot to drink water at elevation, and wound up with a migraine to fell Godzilla, and was rushed into emergency. He's had a stent placed. Told him, "We're fishing slow, dude, we're taking breaks."

But he does know a good rod, give him that. He fishes classic Scotts and Sages, and his favorite small stream rod is one of those great LLs, a 279, very sweet on the small waters we love.

I will be taking up a lot of bamboo and St. Georges and Sunbeams: 8' Reams, 7 1/2' Perfectionist, 7.5 Brandin splicer, 7 1/2' Goodwin, 6 1/2' Bacon-Guba Payne 96. A report of the proceedings to come later.

Here we are fishing through an off-road zone.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Summer Trip Comes Early Tomorrow

Post by headwaters »

And, I felt sure that the 7' Conrad FET Brown Tone would be on that trip. Sounds like a wonderful summer excursion, Darrell!

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Hope you have a great trip. That's one of my favorite areas to fish.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

Have a great trip and don't forget to share your usual excellent stories of your trip when done.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Please share the end! I always look forward to your illustrative trips!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I look forward to your report. Stay well!!

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Darrell, have a blast, stay safe and healthy and I too will look forward to your spilling yer guts all over the forum when you return.

Some of the best T.R.'s on the planet!! And remember to take your chop stix. If you lose 'em I'll send you a set I just carved out of sugar maple, I will!
Later,

Jeremy.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Darrell;

Have a great vacay. Enjoy yourself. Catch some fish. Fall into a creek - many times. And, send us a trip report. Please. :)

Pat

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”