Fish sketches

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

john8
Guide

Fish sketches

Post by john8 »

I have been doing some artwork with colored pencils which is a change of pace for me. Takes a little getting use to but they are nice in terms of convenience as you can use them wherever. Do not have to worry about getting them on things or making a mess like paints. Anyway I have completed an Atlantic Salmon ( which I posted on another thread) and now I’m just about done with a brown trout. Still need to do some minor work on the trout, but I thought they turned out well.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fish sketches

Post by gt05254 »

John, those are awesome. You've got pencils nailed. Trout is great, but the salmon is over the top. If you ever feel like it, we could raise some good bucks with another collaboration. Fine, fine work.
Gary

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Beautiful work !!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

very very nice

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks much for sharing!

Kenneth

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Coloured pencils are not the easiest medium, so well done.

Something to consider- It may be an idea to add some shadow, below and/ or a negative space 'cloud' above, which tends to help with the contrast and tonal values (light on light etc.), unless the fish is swimming in water - where some values around the drawing will still be useful, to knock off the 'edge' of the white paper. Also light source direction, along with it's associated shadows and dark/ light values are always useful to enhance the depth and form of a drawing.

This (humbly) from an illustrator, of some 'fishy' experience, plus college drawing instructor..

Malcolm

I include a somewhat 'crude' drawing (of mine) of a hand, by way of an example of shadow and 'cloud'.

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

So cool! Just curious, how long do your pencils last? I seem to eat them up fairly fast. dborjas

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Beautiful work !!
+1

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

I use Polychromos from Faber Castell and they hold up well. I Have done a number of sketches so far and have not needed to replace any yet.

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

These are very well done indeed! Colored pencil works pretty well on toned paper also if you want to try something without a white background. I will try attaching a study I did of a male merlin on toned paper to give you an idea how well the pencil covers the paper, if I can get the image to post.

But the white background certainly does not distract from the images.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Coloured pencils come in varying degrees of hardness/ softness, I would not worry if they wear or not, as they transform from a stick of pigment into your drawing.. don't try to preserve your tin of pencils, buy a few replacements that are often used, and (again) don't worry about it.

Consider instead which type serve your drawing style best, try various types and makers. So called 'water colour' pencils have a softness and feel all their own - even if you never wet them... and forget those hard scratchy ones.

As has been mentioned, the quality of the paper is as important as the pencil- for example, a soft paper and hard pencil do not compliment each other well.

I notice in the original photo here a manual pencil sharpener. These tend to 'eat' pencils, often twisting the tips off, but in any case providing a very short tip which wears quickly .

Much better, sharpen with a sharp knife, pulling the pencil from the blade to sharpen, using thumb, rather than pushing the blade. Start with the wood and finish with the tip - at that point pushing the blade to fashion the very finetip, fewer tips will break off, prolonging its life. That long tip is key, as the pencil can be held low or high for the various stages of the drawing. A loose grip of the 'tripod' style, of course, compliments the endeavour.

An interesting sharpener is the 'Little Shaver',see photo, which (after a little practice) does a fine job of sharpening pencils. Based on a US sharpener of the early 1900's , this cast iron replica is made by Lee Valley, here in Canada.

The pencils in the photo were hand sharpened however.

Malcolm

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

I have not used toned paper but have seen other artists use it for their work and it looks good. I have gone to a smoother and heavier paper for my sketches. There are some professional artists on You tube and they provide some experience on what works best for them concerning pencils, paper, erasers, sharpeners, etc. So this has provided some direction on what to get. I have had good success with a manual sharpener takes off minimal amount to get a sharp point. This works the best for me, but others may prefer a different method or device. So nice to get input and ideas especially from people who have learned from trying different things and their experience.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Archers HP 140lb is an easily obtained French made drawing paper, very suitable for all pencil work due to its relatively robust surface and amenable 'tooth'.

Malcolm

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Wow

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

These are great pics. Thanks to all you talented people who shared them. Wow!

Pat

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Looking good John! I really the like the brown.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Finishing up another one, this time a steelhead

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Awesome.
Gary