Russ Chatham Posters

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Russ Chatham Posters

Post by gt05254 »

Best pic I have of two of my Daly's. On left is the Anglers All poster from 2001, in the middle is the only limited edition of his that I am aware of. Pleissner to the far right,John Betts below left.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Gary,

I had forgotten about the 2nd Daly poster. Wish it had been available at AMFF when we visited. I know it and the print, I think from "Grays" or "Sporting Classics".

Pleissner is another artist that had interest in in the 1980's, but couldn't afford the extremely expensive signed prints.

Best,
Greg

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Greg, these days the Pleissners are going for a song. I paid 1500 for that one on my wall; it is easy to buy these days on ebay for less than 300, framed. I've seen it for 150. If a guy needed some art for the wall, these are the days to buy it!
Gry

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

I first met Thomas Aquinas Daly when he called me to sign up for our first Catskill Gathering in 1995. We were talking and he mentioned he fished the Wiscoy Creek and I had also fished this creek for three years when we lived there in the 70's. Then he gave me his name, Tom Daly, and since I already had his book "Painting Nature's Quiet Places",I said "You're not Thomas Aquinas Daly are you? He admitted it and we talked for a long time. He came to the Gathering and brought a lot of art with him. We had a show at the Roscoe Motel. He also made beautiful bows as well as bamboo rods. He enjoyed the weekend, but I don't think he got the audience that he wanted at the Museum at that time. Too bad. He and my wife Kim,who is an artist, had some great conversations. He later gave our Gathering a reduced price on his limited edition of "Painting Season". An amazing person. Sorry,I didn't mean to hijack the Russell Chatham posts.

Willis

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

reidrods wrote:
09/06/20 19:16
...Sorry,I didn't mean to hijack the Russell Chatham posts.

Willis
Glad you did.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Greg, these days the Pleissners are going for a song
I think you are still going to pay a solid 5 figures for either a Pleissner or Chatham original painting.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

mlarocco wrote:
09/09/20 12:47
Greg, these days the Pleissners are going for a song
I think you are still going to pay a solid 5 figures for either a Pleissner or Chatham original painting.
Oh, absolutely. I was referring to L.E. lithos.
Gary

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

gt05254 wrote:
09/05/20 09:22
Best pic I have of two of my Daly's. On left is the Anglers All poster from 2001, in the middle is the only limited edition of his that I am aware of. Pleissner to the far right,John Betts below left.
Couldn't help but spot the John Betts flies and art on your wall.

I bought a similar piece from the Museum in the late 90s that had a bunch of tricos in the drawing, with male and female spinners mounted, and a trout lurking on the edge. Has the same foggy/dreamyness that your piece has. IIRC, I bought it and left it with the museum through the rest of the show, and they eventually sent it my way.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Good eye, cc! here's a better shot of "The Bubble", by John Betts. We did an edition of 300, and another of just 30, which came shadow-box framed and matted, and included the fly tied by John. I commissioned John to create it to help celebrate AMFF's 30th anniversary. I miss him.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Russell Chatham and yours truly.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”