Russ Chatham Posters

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Paul B
Master Guide

Russ Chatham Posters

Post by Paul B »

I am unable to afford a Chatham original but would like a sample or two of his work for my office.
Has anyone a source for obtaining poster reproductions of any of his works that they would like to share with me ?

Thanks

Paul B

magpie
Guide

Re: Russ Chatham Posters

Post by magpie »

I bought two from Russ several years ago. They were book posters. One for "Dark Waters" and the other for a Dan Gerber book. Both books were published by Clark City Press, a company owned by Chatham. The paintings on the posters were by Russ and wonderful

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

There used to be posters from exhibits available very inexpensively, but I don’t see any currently. You might call the Museum of the Rockies and see what they might have?

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

His limited edition lithographs are frequently available on the auction site at reasonable prices. His posters much less frequently but I did score a signed Winston 60th anniversary poster on the auction site. I also picked up a signed poster in a Sun River Idaho second hand store.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

And that's Sun Valley Idaho (Sun River is Oregon)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I’ve got this one. Thinking of cutting off the bottom part to get rid of the stank ;-)

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I have the 60th anniversary Winston poster, it is always fun to look at and I do not find the Winston logo offensive at all. I have heard that Russ traded that painting to Tom Morgan for a bamboo rod. Now that was a heck of a trade! There are zillions of art prints available check ebay, these include a few signed numbered lithos. I miss seeing Russ at dinner in DeadRock, he was a treasure...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

Sent you a PM...

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

You might try looking for artwork by Thomas Aquinas Daly. Some of his work is similar and all of it is good.

Willis

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

reidrods wrote:
09/04/20 09:12
You might try looking for artwork by Thomas Aquinas Daly. Some of his work is similar and all of it is good.

Willis
But you better have deep pockets if you would like some of his work. Tom is an old friend and I am fortunate to have a couple of his etchings, the one limited edition print that he did (that I am aware of), and one of the posters I commissioned him to do to celebrate the AMFF exhibition, Anglers All.

Love his work, but his originals are light years out of my budget, and I don't believe I've ever seen an open edition anything of his work.

It's worth buying both of his books, if you just enjoy sitting and looking at beautiful - much of it sportting - art.
Gary

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Three years ago my daughter visited me to help unpack and hang artwork. After hanging two of my Chatham lithographs she looked at the other two and two framed posters she said she had the perfect spot for these. When I asked her where that was she replied, "my living room!" They gracefully adorn her new home. After all, what are daughters for?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

PYochim wrote:
09/04/20 11:00
Three years ago my daughter visited me to help unpack and hang artwork. After hanging two of my Chatham lithographs she looked at the other two and two framed posters she said she had the perfect spot for these. When I asked her where that was she replied, "my living room!" They gracefully adorn her new home. After all, what are daughters for?
Priceless!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

gt05254 wrote:
09/04/20 09:39
reidrods wrote:
09/04/20 09:12

Willis
But you better have deep pockets if you would like some of his work. Tom is an old friend and I am fortunate to have a couple of his etchings, the one limited edition print that he did (that I am aware of), and one of the posters I commissioned him to do to celebrate the AMFF exhibition, Anglers All.

Love his work, but his originals are light years out of my budget, and I don't believe I've ever seen an open edition anything of his work.

It's worth buying both of his books, if you just enjoy sitting and looking at beautiful - much of it sporting - art.
Gary
I agree with Willis, if you like Russel Chatham's art, you'll like T.A. Daly too.

Karen & I visited the American Museum of Fly Fishing in 2017 and purchased two of their 1990s show posters, including the one Gary refers to above:

I couldn't believe they still had it and the 1992 "Anglers All" Winslow Homer poster. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had copies available. Both were inexpensive.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Geez, I shoulda checked the storeroom better on my way out, Greg! Good catch! I remember that we sold the original painting that we made the 2001 Anglers All poster from for 6 grand. I had him come over to the Museum for some big fundraiser and we also sold 2 of his etchings for 1100 per piece. He was happy. He also about sold out the copies of the limited edition of his second book ($250 each) that time; the trustees were in town. I did get one of those, and for mine he included a rendition ( a wash) of a dead grouse still life that he knew I admired. Great guy. Never met Chatham, but sold some HUGE lithos of his for a trustee.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

In the mid-1980s, I requested information from Daly on availability & price of his etchings. IIRC, a very small etching was about $300. Way too much for a guy with a bunch of daughters and a house payment. I was very happy to get that AMFF poster and the one below.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

headwaters wrote:
09/04/20 11:13
PYochim wrote:
09/04/20 11:00
Priceless!
Actually I am getting my revenge this weekend. I bought a BMW Baby Racer for our 1 y/o granddaughter. The horn on this thing is loud. I'm also taking her a toy drum.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

"Actually I am getting my revenge this weekend. I bought a BMW Baby Racer for our 1 y/o granddaughter. The horn on this thing is loud. I'm also taking her a toy drum."

Maybe take her a turkey call, too. That's always fun.
Gary

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Gary, thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered one.

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

I have a number of prints and posters from Chatham. I sent the OP a PM on the 18th of Aug and he has yet to even read it. It looks like he was last on the forum on the 16th of Aug. So he’s not really all over this project.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Thomas Aquinas Daly is an extremely talented artist but Chatham was a Tonalist and I don't think Daly does work in that style. Buy what you like, there is no guarantee how much the person who inherits will be able to sell it for (assuming you aren't a dealer looking to turn a profit)

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”