Wisconsin and Yooperland

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

TimM
Master Guide

Wisconsin and Yooperland

Post by TimM »

While I was in Northern WI a few weeks back I took some photos for the resort owner. The place is situated on a lake and seems to get more good sunset and cloud photos than the average lake.

I arrived at noon, unpacked and headed out to a favorite creek. I fished upstream for about 30 minutes before getting pushed off by a Thunderstorm.

I went back to the cabin and the weather was just perfect.

I couldn't sit around anymore so I returned to said creek and hiked through a thick forest/tag alder hellhole to a downstream meadow. The ambient light dropped dramatically during the hike and I emerged from the woods to a roaring oncoming front. (Literally roaring)

I managed to catch a nice brookie just as the water (and fisherman) started getting pelted with giant raindrops. I scooted back to the truck and waited a few minutes as a hard rain turned to a super hard rain. After 10 minutes I gave up and went back to the cabin. (Came back a few days later to hit the upstream holes I didn't reach and did really well in the high colored water.) The sunset was pretty but a bit ominous:

The resort is somewhat rustic which is perfect for me. Imperfect mowing makes for wildflowers aplenty:

The cabin has everything I need for a week trip plus a bonus VCR with many hit tapes from the 80's. Also, it's cheaper than most motels.

Lots of interesting water nearby. Something about the placement of this boulder with the moss and water seems very Zen to me.

This place was a little bit of a letdown. In about a mile of river there are three similar waterfalls with super deep (probably 20+ feet) plunge pools at the base. I caught some brookies but mainly in the rapids above and high current areas. I expected to maybe find some fat brookies or overfed smallmouth in the deep pools but no luck there either. It was a super clear blue sky day so maybe need to go back with some cloud cover or in the evening. While I was wading in the stream a fawn decided I was momma deer and trotted out to me.

Same river but further upstream from the trip last year. Surprising amount of brookies here; especially since this is in a park and there was a heavy trail beaten in the undergrowth from all the visitors.

As I mentioned great clouds and sunsets. These photos reminds me of being a kid fishing the golden hours after dinner. :)

As an added bonus I talked one of my Yooper buddies into taking a vacation day to hit Lake Superior. The weather was perfect for an offshore run and it turned out to be great fishing. Between 4 or us we caught around 60 lakers with 10 in the 20# range.

I'm was lucky to still take one of my favorite trips; I hope everybody gets to hit their favorite spots this summer !

flyrod
Guide

Re: Wisconsin and Yooperland

Post by flyrod »

BEAUTIFUL area and WONDERFUL photos, thank you for sharing them with us :D

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Thanks for sharing. Vacation by proxy!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

As someone who grew up there and still spends an inordinate time there fly fishing and grouse/woodcock hunting (with some photography & xc skiing thrown in) -- bravo!

rudyc
Sport

Post by rudyc »

Wonderful pictures and story. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you folks were jigging for the "Lakers". That's a fun way to fish them.
It's a good day for something.

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

rudyc wrote:
08/13/20 09:36
Wonderful pictures and story. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you folks were jigging for the "Lakers". That's a fun way to fish them.
Yes, we were jigging. After fishing mainly with #16 size flies casting a 3oz jig feels like casting a cannonball but they sure are effective and the take can be very exciting! The fish were mostly in the 60 to 90 foot depth range but some were in shallower water. I brought the fly rod because at times there are fish feeding on the surface but we didn't see any topwater action on this trip. I picked up some heavier sinking line for next trip to go after some fish in the shallower areas with streamers. We fly fish a bit in the spring for browns, steelhead and coho but they tend to be pretty close to the surface.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

OK, you inspired me. Gonna head up to the UP for the weekend and fish my brains out. Only live 90 miles from the bridge, and a change of pace from the boring old Au Sable and Manistee won't hurt a bit.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Very nice, awesome photos, thanks for sharing

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”