Essay on blue collar rods and guns

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Erik F. Helm
Guide

Essay on blue collar rods and guns

Post by Erik F. Helm »

Enjoy the history and nostalgia!
http://classicangler.blogspot.com/2020/ ... -guns.html
Regards,
Erik Helm

chsparkman
Master Guide

Re: Essay on blue collar rods and guns

Post by chsparkman »

That was a good one. Reminded me of my grandpa, who hunted and fished all through the western states using those blue collar instruments. That's the reason I'm a fan of those rods and guns.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Very nice article. I, too, was reminded of my grandfather, who lived from 1892 to 1973.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Very nice read. I enjoyed that. :)

Pat

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Loved it!

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

we enjoyed reading it, although my daughters felt a little slighted at the end!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Erik,

I agree, that your essay spoke truth and reminded me of the "tools" of my grandfather's generation. A few decades ago, I inherited my Grandfather's LeFever Nitro Special with a broken stock and dinged 30" barrels. At the time, I was big time into collecting SXS shotguns (not Purdy, nor H&H, but I did have a nice English sidelock that I picked up for a song while in London on business).

I had the gun restocked in a higher grade walnut, converted to an English style stock, re-case colored by the late Oscar Gady, barrel dings removed and had the barreles reblued. Lastly, I had my Grandfather's signature from an old drivers license inlaid in gold on the tang of the trigger guard. It is not the best shooter of the few doubles, that I still have, but is it the most special by far.

For those here not familiar with shotguns, the Nitro Special sold for something like $15 in the late thirties, so the equivalent of a low grade Monty from the barrel for the Nitro Special.

The Nitro Special is a wall hanger that I'm happy to hang on my wall and I think of my Grandfather using this gun - in its prior state - every time I take it hunting. My guess is that this may be the most expensive Nitro Special in existence. To me, it is priceless, so it is certainly the most valuable! I wouldn't trade it for a Guillium nor a Brandin even those those would now get much more use from me. I still wonder how he broke the stock, which is how I remember it hanging in his gun rack (in the master bedroom, of all places!) When I was a child.

Please continue to share your stories Mr. Helm.

Cheers,
Joe

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

I loved reading that. Made my day!

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”