The angry char

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

The angry char

Post by GerardH »

I had planned on fishing this weekend back home on my boyhood brook trout streams, but I had to take care of some domestics this morning and I found myself driving east into Wisconsin just before noon. It was a warm, gloomy day but the foliage almost seemed to illuminate the landscape. The intent was to hit 3 or 4 streams, but it was obvious a storm was moving in and I didn't have a lot of time to fish, so I went to the closest of the streams that I had planned to fish. It's a small freestone brook trout stream -- as most of them are in northern WI -- with tannic-stained water flowing through northern upland forests on county land.

I started out fishing upstream with a tandem nymph rig, but the only hits I got were on my strike indicator. So I switched to a Royal Coachman wet and hiked to the top of riffles to allow the fly to swing down and across. I immediately started picking up small brook trout of 6-7" in length, typical of these streams.

Below one riffle tailout was a long glide where the canopy allowed one to actually open up with a cast versus having to resort to flip/roll casting. I noticed about 30 feet downstream of me that every time a flurry of ironwood leaves fell on the surface of the run, a trout viciously slashed at them. I finally decided to target it and as soon as the fly hit the water, the trout jumped at it and took off downstream. This was a larger fish than the previous and it actually took some clicks off the Hardy's drag. It was a strong fish for its size but I horsed it in and grabbed a couple images before I released it:

Even though it wasn't even 4:00 yet, darkness was closing in and the humidity was becoming really heavy, so I decided to head back downstream to the bridge. I hit some pocket water on the way and I picked up a couple more brookies in the deeper runs like this:

I could hear the rain hitting the leaves in the canopy above and by the time I made it back to my truck, it was coming down pretty good, which stuck a fork in any thoughts of hitting the other streams. This was traditionally Wisconsin's last weekend of trout season, but it was expanded to 10/15 statewide a couple years ago, which I question because brook trout in northern streams are often on their redds in October. So for all practical purposes, the baton will be passed and I will be swapping the fly rod for a 20 gauge double and my Brittanys will soon be working along those boyhood brook trout streams for grouse and woodcock. Until next spring...
Last edited by GerardH on 09/27/20 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: The angry char

Post by sodbank »

Great report and beautiful pictures ! Love fall brook trout streams .

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Wonderful photos and outing Garard, thanks for bringing it to us. The fish and foliage are both sublime.

I can’t identify the rod, but it’s a handsome one. The grip looks especially comfortable, a bit different contour than typically seen on downlocking seats. Can I ask who the maker is?

Good luck with the shotgun, I hope the bird season is generous to you.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

adrien schnee wrote:
09/27/20 08:48
Wonderful photos and outing Garard, thanks for bringing it to us. The fish and foliage are both sublime.

I can’t identify the rod, but it’s a handsome one. The grip looks especially comfortable, a bit different contour than typically seen on downlocking seats. Can I ask who the maker is?

Hi Adrien,

The maker is Paul Julius from Cross Plains, WI and is a forum member here -- he specialized in PHY tapers. I asked him to mic the grip from my Orvis Henry's Fork Superfine rod and he faithfully replicated it -- at 7" it's a bit longer than you'd normally see on a Perfectionist but its profile fits my hand perfectly.

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes!

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

Beautiful photos! Seeing them reminded me that I had a few "bamboo in the fall" pictures. But then I went and found them and realized just how inferior they are.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

GerardH wrote:
09/27/20 09:12
adrien schnee wrote:
09/27/20 08:48

Hi Adrien,

The maker is Paul Julius from Cross Plains, WI and is a forum member here -- he specialized in PHY tapers. I asked him to mic the grip from my Orvis Henry's Fork Superfine rod and he faithfully replicated it -- at 7" it's a bit longer than you'd normally see on a Perfectionist but its profile fits my hand perfectly.

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes!

Thanks for the info Herb (I hope this is your correct name]! I see from a bit of a search that Paul is not building much these days, but I do hope you can come up the Para 14 or 15 you had also hoped to get from him some day. I admit I had not known of Paul’s rods before, but in addition to yourself, Jeremy, Rob Hoffines, Ed and many other experienced members were very complimentary of his work. I have had several Orvis graphite rods over the decades, and I agree this particular grip is exceptionally comfortable. Paul did a fabulous job reproducing the form it seems.

It looks like you acquired this rod earlier in the year, and I believe you mentioned in a previous post that this rod Paul built for you had “ made fishing fun again “. A wonderful compliment to the maker, and congratulations on achieving that feeling again and on your numerous outings you have enjoyed this year with your new Perfectionist.

Cheers
Adrien

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

adrien schnee wrote:
09/27/20 10:02

Thanks for the info Herb (I hope this is your correct name]! I see from a bit of a search that Paul is not building much these days, but I do hope you can come up the Para 14 or 15 you had also hoped to get from him some day. I admit I had not known of Paul’s rods before, but in addition to yourself, Jeremy, Rob Hoffines, Ed and many other experienced members were very complimentary of his work. I have had several Orvis graphite rods over the decades, and I agree this particular grip is exceptionally comfortable. Paul did a fabulous job reproducing the form it seems.

It looks like you acquired this rod earlier in the year, and I believe you mentioned in a previous post that this rod Paul built for you had “ made fishing fun again “. A wonderful compliment to the maker, and congratulations on achieving that feeling again and on your numerous outings you have enjoyed this year with your new Perfectionist.

Cheers
Adrien
"Herb" is a nickname that's stuck with me since 1973...so I answer to both that and my given name of Gerard. :)

Paul is a wonderful gentleman as well as a student of the craft, I was very fortunate that he was willing to build this rod for me despite the fact he officially retired from building several years ago. His entire lineup of PHY tapers is quite remarkable. If things work out, I'm hoping he'll build a Midge for me over the winter to fish those small boyhood streams such as the one I visited yesterday...maybe a Para-something the following year.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Herb, outstanding photos. Love the bamboo fly rod, reel and brookies!

Can't wait. Counting the days for cast & blast.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

GerardH wrote:
09/27/20 10:12
Paul is a wonderful gentleman as well as a student of the craft, I was very fortunate that he was willing to build this rod for me despite the fact he officially retired from building several years ago. His entire lineup of PHY tapers is quite remarkable. If things work out, I'm hoping he'll build a Midge for me over the winter to fish those small boyhood streams such as the one I visited yesterday...maybe a Para-something the following year.
:D :D 'Tis indeed a slippery slope! But you have common sense Herb, unlike some of us... ;) I'll put some more "sugar in your coffee" in awhile but you've got a lot of sense. Paul mentioned the "parabolic" he's likely to make. Always wanted one myself. Glad he's a long way away....!!

Looking forward to feeling that rod of yours! I just love nice fly rods...

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

thegubster wrote:
09/27/20 11:26
GerardH wrote:
09/27/20 10:12
:D :D 'Tis indeed a slippery slope! But you have common sense Herb, unlike some of us... ;) I'll put some more "sugar in your coffee" in awhile but you've got a lot of sense. Paul mentioned the "parabolic" he's likely to make. Always wanted one myself. Glad he's a long way away....!!

Looking forward to feeling that rod of yours! I just love nice fly rods...
Jeremy, I'm getting to that point in life where everything's a slippery slope. ;)

Looking forward to getting out and casting some bamboo with you....it's going to be rather lopsided after we get beyond the first rod, so bring a lawn chair and a cooler with your favorite beverages...it's going to be a while. :)

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

Beautiful !! That area is very familiar and the fall color photos bring back good memories. :)

Even with the colors the last week is always a little sad. I was on a UP stream this weekend and it was very similar; fall colors and cloudy day making it feel like perpetual twilight. I'm already looking forward to May.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”