A fun framing

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

A fun framing

Post by gt05254 »

A younger gentleman recently contacted me via the Speypages forum about doing a frame for him. His grandfather was a rabid fly angler, tyer, and denizen of Yellowstone for weeks on end...and artist. He would draw his own postcards to send back to friends and family; fortunately for his grandson, almost all were saved. Long story shortened, the grandson asked me to frame up a couple of his grandfather's post cards and a few of the flies he tied. The job provided some unique challenges, but I think I got 'er done.

I developed a way to mount the flies so they are not destroyed in the mounting process; probably similar to what others have done, but it was fun to work out by myself without consultations:

Doing the double matting was a bit dizzying. This is the top mat, getting ready for the bottom mat.

I didn't charge much for this job; I just thought it was cool that the fellow wanted to remember his grandfather this way.
Gary

P.S. still on the fence about what kind of frame for it.

flyrod
Guide

Re: A fun framing

Post by flyrod »

As with all your fly framing projects, that's outstanding work Gary! Thanks for sharing with us :pipe

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Very nice as always Gary. Sounds like you need to open up a commercial framing shop based on all the projects and work you are doing!

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Thanks, guys. John, that would likely take the fun out of it, although I will say that the occasional paying customer allows me to purchase more materials for the framings I donate. Living on a small fixed income can put a crimp in one's largesse as it relates to giving, to say the least.
Gary

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”