I dived back in to film photography!

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I dived back in to film photography!

Post by DrLogik »

I have a funny recent story to tell...

My 18 year old son and I were at the golf range hitting balls. Two young guys about mid 20's were setting up as we were finishing. I asked the one fellow if he'd take a couple of picture of my son and I. He agreed and I handed him my Nikkormat and said he would need to focus then shoot. He looked at me kind of funny but I thought nothing of it. He took a photo and tried to take another one just by pushing the shutter release again. I said, "Oh, you have to wind it first". I got the deer in the headlights look....... :rollin

My son looked at me and just smiled.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

"What, I have to do something?"
Priceless.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

DrLogik wrote:
12/07/20 20:36
I have a funny recent story to tell...
..... I said, "Oh, you have to wind it first". I got the deer in the headlights look....... :rollin

My son looked at me and just smiled.
Maybe there’s an app for that😎

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

Awareness and familiarity with film cameras has certainly dwindled over the past couple decades. But it's been my observation that a large and growing percentage of film users are younger individuals - often born after digital became a viable and available technology.

And many aren't just 'using cool vintage toys', but producing remarkable work. Glancing over at my bookmarks, three young-ish photographers (I bookmarked their sites probably 10 years ago) who's work I appreciate include http://www.bryanschutmaat.com, http://www.renatodagostin.com and http://www.danielzvereff.com/photography

Much like our bamboo corner of the fly fishing world, film photography is still thriving though overshadowed by more mainstream approaches.

Best,
Andy

p.s. Just a month ago, a guy in his early 20s recognized the camera I was using as a Hasselblad 500cm. However, his question was if it had a digital back... :-\
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Kudos to all of you who are keeping the art alive.
I spent all of my life living the dream. Shot my first landscape when I was two, with my Mom's beat up box Brownie. First good camera was a Spotmatic-- before Honeywell bought the US rights. Did the whole Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Group 64 thing. Amidol and Rodinol developers. Archival processing, Two years at RIT. Learned the Zone system. Bought a Toyo Omega 4X5 monorail. Modified my Luna Pro for the Zone System. And spent my adult life working in photo labs. For the last 29 years of my profession, I was the entire photo lab for an aerial photogrametric company. Produced all the product, fixed all the machines and bought all the supplies. 9 1/2 inch wide roll film as long as 500 feet. My "enlarger" was a 16 foot long graphic arts camera which would expose prints as large as 48X73inches. Automated film and print processing machines. In the lab I didn't use the zone system. For lab work sensitometry is easier and with the right tools it is more precise. A lot of the production was straight up enlargements and contact prints but I also made various things like photo mosaics and half tone enlargements on the client engineering firm's drafting template printed on frosted mylar.
I spent the last years worrying about supplies. I ended up having paper custom made and cut in the Czech Republic and imported through a dealer in Ca.
All the in house stuff was B&W. We did shoot some color but not enough to keep the chemistry alive.
Freestyle Photo in LA,Ca. has a fair variety of old school supplies for the the real photographer. Their market is educational and serious amateur.

And so I remain "The Silver Doctor" AgMD

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Silver Doctor indeed. :) I still spend time going back through older books from the golden age of all that (Ansel 3 books, Fred Picker, White/Zakia, of course Barnbaum), and then sit in front of a screen and "how do I make this RAW look right?"

Completely different mindset.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

But it's been my observation that a large and growing percentage of film users are younger individuals - often born after digital became a viable and available technology.
I agree! Case in point: my 18 year old son's friend "Noah". He just got in to film cameras this summer ( he bought an old Minolta SLR). He saw my Nikkormat on the kitchen counter when he came over to our house one day. He asked, "Do you have any others?" I said yes and brought out my Mamiya RB67, my new (old) Nikon F5 and the F2AS. He was smitten by the RB67 and wanted to know if he could use it some time and I said yes.

He texted me just this morning saying he's read-up on the RB67 and asked if he could borrow it this weekend. I'm delighted that an 18 year old kid is interested in an old-school medium format film camera. I mean, that's just bazaar considering what digital has to offer. He told me when he was over last that he likes the heft, mechanical feel and simplicity of film cameras. I couldn't argue with that!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I dived back in to film photogratemporary lab,phy!

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello, i need a lot of help i have not developed a roll of film since 1958. yes, 1958. when the photographer at bartow air base allowed me to use the base lab, i have forgotten everything i ever knew about b and w. i am preparing a monograph and digital images are not performing well. the books are long gone. i will appreciate any advice concerning installing a temporary darkroom and equipment, sources for b and w film, and proper filters. have a clean fuji st 701 with four different lenses. the most likely will be vivitar 49mm w/polarized skylight. am attempting to record very lightly engraved scenes on flat panels of high quality (crucible) steel. have considered 3 d digital but do not know very much about that. many thanks in advance and a great new year to you.
regards, jim w

hah! i forgot where i was posting. this research is not for publication, but for whomever may possess it after me. again, regards
Last edited by Seabowisha Salmo T on 01/04/21 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Here is an interesting short video on the subject of developing 'orphaned films' found in old cameras..

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-49450520

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

oddsnrods wrote:
01/03/21 05:04
Here is an interesting short video on the subject of developing 'orphaned films' found in old cameras..

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-49450520
thanks, that was very good. like discovering old movie reels intact in a theater owner's basement. regards

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”