Driftless

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Zelenymph2
Guide

Driftless

Post by Zelenymph2 »

I have to admit that the many references on the fishing board of this forum to the Driftless Area didn't register with me for a long time, but they did pique my curiosity, and I made a mental note to look into it one day. Well, the road to hell...

Anyway, while looking for other things recently, I came upon the series on the Driftless Area at the link below to Agate online magazine. I found this piece informative and will check out the rest of the series. In the meantime, I thought there might be other forum folks who would enjoy this piece:

http://www.agatemag.com/2021/02/the-dri ... nd-humans/

I recommend browsing the rest of Agate if you have time, but I'd like to share one more offering from the web site, a poem by Minnesota naturalist/writer Laurie Allman dedicated to another naturalist writer whose work also has inspired me. Barry Lopez died this past Christmas Day, a few weeks before his 76th birthday and, apparently, not long after he lost his house in Oregon to wildfire. When I was fortunate enough, over 8 years, to spend considerable time in the Alaskan Arctic, Lopez's book "Arctic Dreams" left a lasting impression, and I continue to recommend the book to anyone who has an interest in Arctic landscapes and history.

Allman's poem for Lopez, "Making Light":

http://www.agatemag.com/2021/01/making-light/

Cheers!

Jim

Fcs
Guide

Re: Driftless

Post by Fcs »

Thanks Jim, great read.

My parent’s families are both from the Northeast edge of the Driftless in Wisconsin, coming with waves of German farmers at the time of the Civil War.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

I spent some of my teen years in central WI and drove through the Driftless a couple of times. Love Barry Lopez's writing and have a quote from Artic Dreams in one of my notebooks that is full of fishing info.

'In the reprieve at the end of the day, in the stillness of a summer evening, the world sheds its categories, the insistence of its future, and is suspended solely in the lilt of its desire.'

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I fished the Driftless area a few times a year for 20 years - the last time was probably 7 years ago. I still miss it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Pat

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”