Wood Carving traditional

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Forelleke

Wood Carving traditional

Post by Forelleke »

Hi,

I am looking for somebody to do a wood carving of my fish of a lifetime , end of last year.
I caught a Hucho in our River in Munich , Isar, 120 cm and nearly 40 Lbs.
As I do not like any modern throphees, I stumbled upon and as I have seen on my trips in Scotland, wood carved fish, painted to perfection.
I thin k they're called "Half Block " Salmons...
I found already a very talented and awesome painter " Roger Brooks" http://www.rogerbrookes.com, but I am not able to contact him.

Does anybody know if there are others, or know roger, to make such a traditional woodcarving,.?

I would be very happy if somebody can help me on this matter...

Best wishes and stay safe!

Roel

p.s. already thought I will try myself...but I can not imagine to get it right.. ;)

Random Casts
Master Guide

Re: Wood Carving traditional

Post by Random Casts »

Roel,

Just a thought. A wood representation of such a wonderful catch would be pretty unwieldy. Have you explored some of the spectacular fiberglass artists that specialize in replicas.

Here is an example of two tarpon by Advanced Taxidermy located in Ontario. I’m sure that there must be equivalent shops in your neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Richard
Random Casts

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Check-out Ellen McCaleb--she's very good:
https://fishcarvings.com/

Congratulations on the fish...

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Bob Berry has written books and won multiple world championship contests. I am not sure if he is still active.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/bob-berry-wildlife-artist/

Google 'Fish Carver' and you will get results. Check out their web pages and contacts the ones you like

Bob Berry brook trout

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

A less awarded but highly respected carver is Franz Duzler. Not sure if he is still active

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Ellen McCaleb was featured in the Atlantic Salmon Journal a number of years ago and does very nice work. She does the half fish carving mounted on a wood plank in line with the Scottish tradition. This is my version which I carved and painted this Atlantic salmon based on a trophy fish I caught, it is about 100cm long or 40”. It turned out pretty good or at least I was happy with it.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Beautiful, John!
Gary

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I’m a big fan (and collector) of vintage wood trout carvings. Those are work of art. Thanks all for posting.

Mike N
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
02/03/21 09:21
Check-out Ellen McCaleb--she's very good:
https://fishcarvings.com/

Congratulations on the fish...
Thanks, Greg. Very impressive website.

Mike N
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

mlarocco wrote:
02/03/21 09:31
A less awarded but highly respected carver is Franz Duzler. Not sure if he is still active

I saw Franz Duzler several years ago carving outside an art gallery in Sunriver, OR. I thought he carved the nicest fish sculptures I’d ever seen. I often wondered what happened to him (he was old then), it looks like he moved to Utah. I would love to own one of his sculptures.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I would love to own one of his sculptures
Sometimes you get lucky. I found this in a second hand store along the Gallatin River at the Big Sky turnout. The owner said it had been used for staging units at Big Sky. There had also been a brown trout but it had sold 'months' ago.

I seem to recall a gallery in Sun River that carried Franz's works. I recall going to a Fly Fishing festival in Sun River one fall but they only did a couple of years.

Forelleke

Post by Forelleke »

Hi,

thanks for all the responses...

- I want a classic traditional half fish carving, no replica like Advanced Taxidermy... very nice but not my taste.
especially my wife will run outside , yelling, if a replica or stuffed fish is hanging around.. which I can understand..

I already found a couple of Names, and I wrote Ellen McCaleb already... let's see if I get an answer..

Most of them are passed away, sadly enough, and that's why I asked here... some carvers / artists are probably not listed anywhere in the Web.

I will report if I find somebody...maybe interesting for others.. ;)

Roel

p.s. that's the Hucho I caught..
and before anybody reacts.. policy it take take out the large and old Hucho.. so no catch & Release for those.
hurted me also.. but hey.. there is a very healthy population in our river.. and they taste fantastic..

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I've met this fellow; his work is very good as well as the others mentioned: https://www.genebahr.com/the-artist.html
Gary

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Gene Bahr was the other artist I was thinking of but could not remember his name. He also use to advertise in the ASJ and other publications. I have seen his work only in pictures but if Gary recommends then his work must be good. The other famous fish carver is Nick Podolsky but unfortunately he tragically passed away a few years ago.

Forelleke

Post by Forelleke »

Thanks John...
I will try to contact Gene,

and yes it looks the tradition is passing away... very sad..as many traditional crafts and artworks.

I just got an update on Roger Brooks from a friend, that he made his last carving in 2018.. why he stopped I do not know.

and yes the old masters, like Podolsky, unbelievable pieces.

I am already thinking of starting for myself.. get a piece of wood... and in Corona Time lots of time to spend on trying to shape my fish.. ;)

Best,

Roel

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Roel
I was into carving a number of years ago, I plan to start back into again now. I had been carving small figures, etc when I decide to try and do a salmon. The only additional carving tool I bought was a draw knife, which helped me shape the fish and do some of the rough carving. Then I just used my regular carving tools for all the details etc. it took awhile but was fun in the end, I then painted it with oil paints and sealed it. I used basswood (Linden tree) which is what most carves use. Good luck let me know if you have any questions
John

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I am already thinking of starting for myself
There is a Fish Carving book by Bob Berry that would be worth buying before you started. There are Wood carving clubs once COVID restrictions are lifted. Through one of these clubs I was able to attend a one day session with Ed Barrett ( multi year winner at the world fish carving championships).
I created a decent quality half fish rainbow trout wall mount (gave to parents).

Lots of names on this page

http://ronbaileyscarvings.com/worldwide.htm

Forelleke

Post by Forelleke »

Morning,

sorry for no update yet... was quite a search..
Thanks again for all the input and links...

after some weeks I got in contact with Roger Brooks, to hear he just in the middle of retirement.... and he has nobody to follow up.

BUT after my Story and some images of the fish, he decided to do a last one.. my Hucho...
I am so happy..
It will take some time of course, but I will update if the fish will be alive again in wood!

Take care

Roel

Forelleke

Post by Forelleke »

Hi,

I just wanted to show the woodcarving Roger Brooks made of my Hucho....
It is just unbelievable beautifull..

I am so happy he was willing to carve a last fish on commission.
A true Masterpiece of my fish of a lifetime.

Roger will do no commission work anymore, and has no followup of his craftmanship, very sad..
I hope this tradition will survive..and people can enjoy the Beauty of an old and skillful tradition.

He will do some carving for himself, and special occasions , he will auction these masterpieces.

Cheers,

Roel

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Very nice

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”