The Blues...the electric blues...

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Blues...the electric blues...

Post by prairieschooner »

Nice, and keep playing guys! At 74 my dexterity ain't what it used to be and I don't play enough to really keep my chops up but I can still get around a little. I haven't played electric since my college cover band days, but my family will have to figure out what to do with these after I'm gone...

Last edited by prairieschooner on 03/21/21 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Nice trio P.schooner. Kudos to you for even hanging onto 'em...

This age thing, it's just no fun!!! But...

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Better'n the alternative, eh?
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm a jazz musician. But the blues--the 12-bar structure, the call-and-response, the bent notes, the stories of pain--lies at the core of jazz. Like Charlie Parker told Art Blakey in the year before his death: "Make sure the kids learn to play the blues."

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

Nice trio to have ....

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

Eventually one has to stop. Got an email from my son. He wants to build his own guitars after replacing hardware and picks ups on an old klunker he has. So I finally have a home for the woodworking tools in the garage.
When his girlfriend gave him permission to have a jam room it got out of hand and he became a “collector”, but a cheap one. I don't think he has spent over $800 on a used guitar.
I haven’t been to visit for well over a year and didn’t realize how far out of hand it has become. His jam room has drums, crazy electronics (to an old geezer), some 9 electrics on the wall, 2 acoustics and his recent acquisition, my old Guild Mark II. Bought it from John Caruso’s shop in New London in 1964 and it led me down a classical path from which I could never step away. I was untutored and talentless but what an enjoyable road to travel.
I had to give up stolen hours 15 years ago when arthritis took over my left hand and serious play in 1980 when my wife told me "You come home from work and that damned guitar is the first thing in your arms. So it's me or the guitar." In a moment of remarkable clarity I reasoned one can't have sex with a guitar, at least not that I'd heard of, so the guitar went in the closet.
Beyond that, I have a 3 ft x 4 ft 1886 painting of my mother's great grandfather. Pop added "Great Uncle" to her ggrandfather's title as he felt everyone should have a painting of a "Great Uncle Henry" peering dissaprovingly down his nose over the family, making them uncomfortable for generations. I have decreed it soon be hung in my son's jam room. How cool would that be for his friends and himself? Rockin' with Great Uncle Henry!!!(G)

Prairie Schooner. My oldest brother's Guild 12 outlived him but he was getting kinda old anyway. The other brother is down to his last Martin 12; performs his own songs mostly at old folks homes (where residents with walkers cannot easily escape him) but his hands are starting to give out on him at 79 so he too must give up soon. The stresses guitars place on players, especially classical ones, are difficult to deal with.

But has any other instrument given so much joy to so many?

NathanPoole8cdec

Post by NathanPoole8cdec »

On the contrary, I like to listen to the sounds of the guitar. Because the guitar is a special instrument for me. And it is played internally by rich people, which has always impressed me. At one time, I dreamed of learning to play this wonderful instrument. And I still regret that it didn't work out. But my son is very fond of playing the guitar and learning jazz guitar books I enjoy when I listen to him play. There are different versions of guitars, acoustic and electric with a variety of sounds, and it is possible to easily switch between them. Well, try to name some other undervalued tool that would also have all these characteristics.

Stomias
Guide

Post by Stomias »

Bought new in 1970. Played with Buddy Guy and Jimmy Johnson. Follow me for blues playing tips :)

Last edited by Stomias on 08/15/21 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

bod13

Post by bod13 »

Here’s my favourite setup (although I find I’m playing more fingerstyle acoustic blues these days). I handwired the amp (I’m an electrical engineer by trade) and built the cabinet from scratch.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Looks good, how old is your tele? and the amp, how many watts, looks cool.

bod13

Post by bod13 »

I’m not sure how old the Tele is to be honest, I think from the 90’s. The amp is based on the old tweed Champ/Princeton circuit using a 12AX7 in the preamp and a 6V6 for the power. It runs about 6W with the 6V6, but it also has a bias switch so I can change out to a 6L6 which bumps it up to 12W. There’s also a master volume added so you can really drive it at a lower volume (I built it to be able to play in the house without pissing off the wife!). I’m running a 12” alnico speaker rather than the 10” that was originally in the smaller tweed amps. It was a really fun project and I’d love to build another one some day. Maybe a tweed deluxe or something with spring reverb!
Cheers
Barry

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

bod13 wrote:
08/27/21 11:22
Here’s my favourite setup (although I find I’m playing more fingerstyle acoustic blues these days). I handwired the amp (I’m an electrical engineer by trade) and built the cabinet from scratch.

Nice stuff bod13. I’m also an EE and built my Champ clone from scratch. Your Tele looks just like my partscaster, except for the pick guard.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Barry, I’ll bet your amp has THE tone.
Here’s my ‘65 black face Princeton.

Barbituratik

Post by Barbituratik »

Two years ago, I stopped playing the guitar after a car accident where my arm suffered a lot. However, I love your guitar. I was searching for a model like this one because I love how it sounds, but I was never able to find it in my region. The only solution I had was to use different accessories for a guitar to change its sound however I liked. If you still play, I would love to hear that magnificent sound again, so if you could post a short sequence of you playing it, I would be more than grateful.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”