Artist of Note

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

carl otto
Master Guide

Artist of Note

Post by carl otto »

Some time ago I had the opportunity to purchase a very nice Per Brandin rod, which came up the same time an equally handsome Tom Daly fishing watercolor came to market. They were about the same price. After some debate I ended up with the Daly, which sits across from my desk at work. I never have regretted the decision. At any time, any weather, any season I can look up and this painting draws me into it, transporting me to a myriad of similar scenes on any number of streams. A constant sense of delight to my soul. Daly's work does that. Being a hunter and fisherperson he has the artistic ability to capture not only the physical moment, but the underlying spiritual feeling. I can hear the geese or water. The wind is there. The smell of that place and time of year are present. If there is a fire, you smell the smoke and hear the crackle. You get lost in the work. Long after I can fish, this painting will still provide that experience.

So I started thinking of who else has the similar artistic acumen and I started a list. Folks all worthy of the attention and accolades they have received. I was wondering who else out there in your knowledge are equally skilled and worth study? In no particular order;

Louis Rhead, could capture the spirit of a trout in a line etching

Winslow Homer

Ogden Pleissner

Roy M. Mason

Arthur Shilstone

Chet Reneson

Thomas Aquinas Daly

If you do not know these artist, you should.

Any additions are welcome. I am always looking for new horizons to explore.

Carl @ Wanigas

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Artist of Note

Post by cwfly »

William Schaldach

Edmund Osthaus

Margeurite Kirmse

A. B. Frost

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Milton Weiler

C.D. Clarke

A. Lassell Ripley

David Hagerbaumer

Ken Carlson

Peter Corbin
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

For me it's dry point, pencil or etchings so the following get my attention;

W. Schaldach
R.L. Boyer
Gordon Allen
Al Barker
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 03/10/21 11:51, edited 2 times in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Many greats already listed! Add this diverse cast:

John Groth - sporting illustrator of Gingrich books and much more.....

Robert Ball - line drawings in John McDonald's Gordon book, end papers, cover...other sporting books.

David Eley - nice hand colored river maps of Itchen, Test, Beaverkill etc. Vineyards and Old golf courses....And wine bottle labels!

Russ Chatham - line drawings in his book Dark Waters. Sublime.

Gaylord Shanilec - Mayfly art
http://www.midnightpapersales.com/mayflies.html

Herbert Lewis Fink - lauded landscape and figure artist, his "The Trout Fisherman" haunts me every day.....

Scott Yeager - he does fall Aspens and fishing scenes very well, to my taste. nice stuff in the Broadmoor Gallery in Co Sprngs
Last edited by creakycane on 03/11/21 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

I really don’t belong in a thread like this, but Fred Everett’s Fun with Trout has some unique stuff. From paintings to faceless “word sketches”, much of it is intended at humor. I can’t say that I get lost in warm nostalgia, but they make me smile.

James Prosek has quite a bit of stuff and he does all his own paintings/sketches for his books. I believe that Earnest Schwiebert did all his own sketches and they add lot to the stories. And of course, Dave Whitlock’s drawings - where all the fish and bugs have big Disney Princess eyes - but you knew of these already.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Another vote for Chatham.
And a vote for my friend Greg Pearson, down in Utah:

Last edited by Brooks on 03/13/21 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Bob White

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

John Swan

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Dean Crouser
Adriano Manocchia
Al Barnes

Reelgem
Sport

Post by Reelgem »

The above are exceptional, all fine artists who evoke the best of nature and the experience of flyfishing. The top of the list for me is an artist whose main focus were the fish themselves, specifically trout and salmon. Unmistakably recognizable, his fish swim on blue paper, alive with movement and subtlety.

Tommy Brayshaw.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

his fish swim on blue paper
A Brayshaw Dolly. I would like to stumble upon one of his wood carvings some day

Reelgem
Sport

Post by Reelgem »

Mlarocco,nice to see the dolly, he never did a bad fish. Finding a carving, wouldn’t that be a good day! I did find an original painting though, never expected to come across that. The picture I posted is one of the few print editions that were produced.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

nice to see the dolly
The Dolly is an original out of the Ralph Wahl estate (they knew each other).

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

I really enjoy art.....especially fly fishing art. I do like the artists listed above, but there are a few I would add that are creating some beautiful pieces. I am always amazed with how these folks can transfer ideas or pictures from brain to hand to paper/canvas. My wife recently gifted me my first original piece of pencil/pastel art of the California Golden Trout by Garrison. Everyones work from the list below is beautiful!! Here are a few to consider looking up:

John Noble- @scalydesigns on Instagram.....awesome airbrush work!!
Garrison Doctor (repyourwater.com)
Dan Rickards (Sisters Oregon)
Brooke April Belohlavek (brookeaprilart.com)
Sarah Landstrom (sarahlandstrom.com)

And I am sure I am missing many whose artwork adorns my office, living spaces, and shop!!

Enjoy,
Paul

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Take a look at the paintings of trout by Marc Susinno: https://wildwings.com/collections/mark-a-susinno-art

For technical expertise and scientific illustration, Joseph Tomelleri cannot be surpassed. His paintings done with watercolor/colored pencil are photorealistic. He illustrated the books Trout and Salmon of North America and About Trout by Robert Benke

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Very good suggestions and ads by you all. The original post was more about artist who captured the spirit of the fishing experience and not about artist who specialize in painting fish. This has expanded and enhanced my knowledge base and enjoyment in our sport.

Best,

Carl

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Henry McDaniel: From Annapolis, NS and moved to the Boston area at an early age and lived to be 102 when he passed in 2008. Paintings hanging with the Anglers Club of NY. His Miramichi Painting, Morning on Taylor Shore was presented to Prince of Wales in 1978 at the IASF in London, England. The Atlantic Salmon Federation named Henry the ASF artist of the year,1989 for his painting Miramichi Morning and my Matapedia River on my wall. His illustrations were also used in Joe Bates, "The Art of the Atlantic Salmon" and "The Compleat Lee Wulf" by Lee Wulf

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Another vote for McDaniel. Here's one of his that I framed for our camp on the Miramichi. I do believe that the Atlantic Salmon Museum up in Doaktown (I'm on their board) still has some of his signed/numbered prints in the gift shop. If anyone is interested in one of those, pm me.
Gary

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

gt05254 wrote:
03/24/21 13:44
Another vote for McDaniel. Here's one of his that I framed for our camp on the Miramichi. I do believe that the Atlantic Salmon Museum up in Doaktown (I'm on their board) still has some of his signed/numbered prints in the gift shop. If anyone is interested in one of those, pm me.
Gary

Gary,
On my wall
Henry McDaniel original, watercolor fosse Richards Matapedia, Que.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”