In Japan and under you, it's moving

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

In Japan and under you, it's moving

Post by Flykuni3 »

And it's the 10th nniversary of the combined three disasters -- the biggest 'quake, followed by raging monsterous tsunami surges, and the Fukushima plant melted down. I went there to some of the hardest hit regions in the Tohoku area (it's higher up in that island nation). We sang for kids, orphans and survivors. It was all too wonderful and horrible.

This site has become a shrine. It honors the memory and sacrifice of a dedicated employee who stayed at her post till the very end.

The photo shows what's left after the waves wiped the seaside port town of Minami san Riku from the face of the map. There was a crowded city here, and this was their city hall, admin bldg. and disaster center. A 23-year-old newlywed named Miki Endo was on the job that day. She was to broadcast tsunami warnings to the town, and Miss Endo remained at her post till she was taken by the waves. As the waters rose, the mayor and some staff fled to the roof top. He climbed the radio antenna, another followed him. A few others made it to the top of the stairs. And the waters covered the 3-story bldg. The mayor survived, am not sure on the others.

It was also as wonderous and fulfilling as can be. We visited schools and performed for the kids, doing folk tales like the Tortoise and the Hare. Some of the kids watching were orphans.

Ten years hence, and the children are teens. I hope their lives are happy and good. This is all I'll post tonight, will continue tomorrow
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 03/12/21 20:23, edited 2 times in total.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Re: In Japan it's already 3-11

Post by RWHoffhines »

Wow Darrell, that's a heavy. All the haunting stories, the horrible videos come to mind. Then those beautiful children.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Mother nature is a cruel parent at times.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Humans in their conceit of being in control are constantly being spanked by the natural world back into reality. I question if we learn?

3/11 was a horrific lesson for Japan. One we should all heed.

Look at New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina. How did those Corp of Engineer flood control measures work?

Look at Texas just 4 weeks ago. How did that unregulated, unprepared energy grid/infrastructure work?

I now see unchecked development going on along the Florida coast where the FEMA coastal flood/hurricane maps are being allowed to be modified by developers and private individuals to encroach into these zones to further the desire to "be on the beach".

The list goes on........

The Japanese are a great and resilient population, they are recovering and they have placed many stricter regulations, reflecting what they learned. Their loss in incomprehensible without seeing the devastation first hand and those lost communities.

Peace,

Carl

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Humanizing.

Great stuff - thanks for sharing. I really admire the singing. Those children might not have known it then, but they heard it loud and clear.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

The Pacific plate has ground into Japan for who knows how long. It'll continue, it's how the earth as we know it was formed and will continue to reinvent itself. It's interesting to me that the acceptance of the theory of plate tectonics dates to within my lifetime, 50s-60s. I love talking with my older brother Dale, the geologist, I show him rocks and other interesting features I've photographed on hikes into mountain canyons. Going into, say, Ten Sleep canyon, Crazy Woman canyon, both in Wyoming, driving through the Bighorns through layers of billions of years of geologic history is so fantastic. And then you run into recent human fussings, the Fetterman Massacre, for instance. How we fret on top of such an ancient rock here.

We do what we can, eh? I would hope that all of us would do what this man does: he lives in a small town, upriver from the coast, and in the disaster as the waters roared into their home, he gripped his mother's hand, tried to hold on, but lost her. Both his parents were carried away by the tsunami surges. Their bodies like hundreds of others were never recovered. To this day he goes out in his small boat looking for them. It was five years past the disaster when we met him, long past any realistic hope. He went out everyday to look.

Our bus had parked on a gravel lot. After introductions he spread a map on the ground showing his now-lost town. I asked, "Where was it?" and he replied, "Right here, where the bus is parked." I hope he has found some peace.

They've cleaned the land of hundreds of tons of debris. We were there five years after, and it was remarkable how clean it was. But you will see things when you get close.

There was an elementary school there. The waters rose, they sheltered in place. Like good administrators they did what they could, waiting for instructions on what to do next. The phones were out. The waters kept rising and they had to flee to what little high ground was nearby. They made it to a small hill, and it wasn't enough. They made a desperate dash to a bridge that was the highest point around, but it wasn't good enough. The administrators, teachers and students were swept away.

We saw some nice cultural sites, samurai castles and museums, fantastic gardens, and we ate like lords. There was good weather, and our guides kept us on track and moving through the incredible train stations to the right platform at the right time. If a train is leaving at 9:01, it will leave at 9:01, set your watch by it. And I got a day off to go fishing.

I hired Kato-san as a guide, my first guide ever. And he took care of me beautifully. Picked me up in Tokyo and drove me towards the sacred mountain, Mount Fuji. It was a sight in snow in the clear daylight. He told me it isn't always this clear, good day. The Oshino river was fairly good, though I'm more a mountain freestoner type, boulder hopping and pocket picking, and the Oshino was more a flat land river. But I have no complaints, my Duracane and Sunbeam were with me, and I caught rainbows on top. My last fish was a beautiful Yamame, with gently muted colors like a trout on an ancient silk screen.

Japan is a wacky place, self-regulated and so well-behaved it astounds. Theft is generally unknown unless, as it is said, "You go to cities where there are foreigners and tourists." In the cities, towns, villages and other areas that are away from things, your things are safe to leave out. Here, an airport shuttle crew bows to a departing shuttle.

These are folks who were living in govt housing. Their coastal cities and homes were destroyed. We sang some old songs for them, and often phonetically since most of the group don't speak Japanese (being 3rd generation Sansei, American-born and bred). Some of the folks were puzzled that we could not speak Japanese; knowledge of what happened to us in the U.S. during the war isn't well-known. As in America, that generation is almost all gone by now.

All these folks survived the disasters, and many lost much family. Their possessions and professions and homes are gone. The very land they lived upon on the coast will look far different when -- if -- they return: the govt has been bringing in untold tons of earth to build up the coast, I think I remember 30' was the goal. I saw earthmoving equipment building huge mounds that looked like the Mexican pyramids. I'd like to see what that looks like today, a coastline raised 30'.

Ten years, a long while in the life of a child. I hope they are all living a good life and are happy. If orphaned I hope their new family holds them close and warm. Ten years on the face of this earth? Life is like a cherry blossom, it flowers and is beautiful. Soon it falls. Live well, my friends.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: In Japan and under you, it's moving

Post by Brooks »

Tragic, but evolving to beautiful, uplifting, thanks for sharing.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

A tragic and moving story Flykuni. Almost every country has suffered tragedies of some type or another and human resilience we keep bouncing back. The Japanese have suffered much even during my lifespan and they are still strong and living well.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

1293 was the first recorded big one, that fish was restless and took 23,000 souls. And so it has gone since pen hit paper in land where the sun comes from. The people have been tempered by fire and water, not unlike the sword. But like the sword it has built a strength and resilience in a people. 1498,1707, 1792, 1854!,1923. 2011 was another test and like the countless before it will bring even greater strength. I love the Japanese culture shared to me by friends and Thank you FlyKuni for reminding us all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Darrell,
As always, your stories are eloquent and haunting. Hard to believe it has been 10 years.

Lon

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Good heaven's Darrell most of us never realized the exact human extent of that disaster because it's so hard to imagine much of anything of that magnitude!

Thanks for sharing this and bringing it up with those photo's. It says so much but still barely enough. Good Lord... Your posts never fail to capture our attention!!!

Jeremy.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Darrell;

Thank you for another "Story with Pictures." The sadness and horror of that disaster is palpable - it breaks your heart. The determination to keep moving forward heals it.

Pat

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”