Bamboo & brookies in the rain

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Bamboo & brookies in the rain

Post by GerardH »

We finally got a bit of a respite from the heat this weekend in MN & WI, so I headed over to my boyhood brook trout stream that I've fished for over 50 years and I planned on fishing a section where I had my first outing with a fly rod 45 years ago on a June 1976 evening. As I drove east from Minnesota, rain started hitting the windshield but nothing more than the lowest interval setting on my wipers couldn't handle. I arrived at the stream and raindrops were just dimpling the water when I spotted several risers upstream of the bridge...I was excited because these soft, rainy summer days have become something of a rarity in recent years and these conditions encouraged trout to feed all day. I suited up, assembled my 6'3" Midge copy and tied on a parachute Adams as the rain picked up -- it was a light shower at this point, but it made it difficult to pick out the risers unless they cleared the water.

The other problem was even with a parachute tie, it was difficult seeing the fly and keeping it from getting drowned. The first couple takes were rather subtle and produced rings not much bigger than what the raindrops were creating.

By now the rain was getting heavier and though it was still mid-afternoon, it was getting quite dark. As long as there wasn't any lightning and my Filson packer hat kept my glasses clear, I would continue to fish.

But the fish continued rising and I switched out from the Adams to more buoyant patterns like Pass Lakes.

The rain was coming down pretty hard now and it was putting down the insects, so there were no longer any consistent risers to target. I tied on Royal Coachman wet and started working my way back downstream.

The last 100 yards the stream was too shallow and weedy to effectively swing a wet fly, so I reeled up and walked back down to the bridge in the gloaming. I disassembled the rod and wiped it down, switched out my waders for dry shoes and socks, and took one last look upstream at the stretch that I first fly fished 45 years ago to the month...both times exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by GerardH on 09/19/23 09:18, edited 2 times in total.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo & brookies in the rain

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Beautiful photos; looks like a great way to spend a rainy day.

Cheers,
Joe

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Beautiful stream, beautiful brookies, and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing your rainy days with us.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Very nice Gerard! SE MN was great on Friday and Saturday AM, and then the rain came... I have been having a blast with a "brown" Chernobyl and a dropper. Great action, glad to see some rain hitting MN and WI though. Tight Lines

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Hi Alex! Good to hear you've been having luck with terrestrials, I didn't do so hot at our sulphurless camp the week prior with those patterns. Regarding rain, I'm hearing reports SW WI got 6"-9" yesterday and there was some significant flooding. The old Morton Salt slogan of "When it rains it pours" is so true these days...

Hope you're you having a good summer!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Very nice report and pictures! I sure wish I was there instead of this crazy record heat in Seattle!!

BDNGRD
Sport

Post by BDNGRD »

I enjoyed this, nice pictures and memories.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Thanks for sharing a great report. Gorgeous fish and landscape, and that rain actually really looks inviting. It's been hot here in Rome, mid-day temps hitting 95F, which in reality is nothing compared to what you guys are getting in the Pacific NW (hang in there and drink lots of water!).

Kenneth

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Beautiful

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Looks like an awesome outing!

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Great TR!
Thanks for sharing your brook trout stream with us.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Very nice. Finally found a platform where I can see images on the forum.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

It is wonderful to have a lifetime's memories wash over you like the rain... and then the rise of a brook trout brings you back to the present moment. Looks like you had a perfect day.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Very, very nice. That's what it's all about!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

This was a nice way to start my day. Thanks for posting... :)

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Excellent! It is great when so many years later you can still enjoy the stream and the brookies. I hope future generations can do the same.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Outstanding post Sir!

Bloodhound
Guide

Post by Bloodhound »

Beauty Pics! Thanks for posting them

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

After scrolling through this, I got this image in my head of a bunch of brook trout in black leather and shades hiding in pools with The Police playing in the background. Still funky AF as the kids say. Thanks for the ride.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”