Hex excitement

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

BDNGRD
Sport

Hex excitement

Post by BDNGRD »

I drove east from Minnesota and as I got my canoe to the river there was a downpour- but then a lovely rainbow.

Usually this time of year, I spend an hour or two with brookies and small dries waiting for dark and the hexes. But tonight there was nothing at all after the rain. I figured it was going to be a bust.
But then it began and things went well.

I spent the day tying big patterns:

The fish liked them:

There was chaos in the canoe as I worked to get the hook out of this one. I try not to take too many pictures of fish nowadays, but I wanted to get one of this well fed brown.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Hex excitement

Post by driftless angler »

Nice fish! I'm hoping the hatch is on this weekend in Northern Wisco!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Love this. It's been many years since I've intentionally fished the hex hatch in northern WI, always a special time on those rivers that almost glowed reflecting the twilight sky. Thank you for the wonderful photos!

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Nicely done!! he's a fatty.
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

We have a local lake with a Hex hatch that starts up in June and is still going into September. I like fishing late June as the lake gets busy in July. Fish get harder to fool later in the season (white wing works much better than dark wing). Anybody ever fish the hex hatch on the Williamson in southern Oregon? get those really big rainbows that Denny Rickards targets moving out of Klamath Lake

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Another place on the 'list' is the Hex hatch on the upper Columbia River (near Canadian border) where 5+ lb rainbows are targeted. So many places on the 'list' I may never get to :(

You might move this to a different forum?

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

driftless angler wrote:
06/28/21 08:28
Nice fish! I'm hoping the hatch is on this weekend in Northern Wisco!
With all the warm temps, it would not surprise me if it was over already. We will find out soon.

John

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

With all the warm temps, it would not surprise me if it was over already.
Have no in sight to your local conditions. On the local lake the hex will hatch from mid-june to mid-september. They can be found hatching in water over 10' deep. Air temperature/cloud cover seems to affect the daily discharge of flies. From what I hear, in no way does it match the volumes of the mid-west.

The Columbia along the Canadian border is a place that historically gets hot (this year everywhere in the west is hot). Recall an articlae written by John Gierach about fishing the Columbia River Hex hatch, As I recall, he spent his days at the lodge sweltering.

Certainly would like to fish the Michigan hatch some day.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Here in Central NY we have Oneida Lake and the locals called the hatch "Eel Flies". They were so prolific the village of Sylvan Beach would have to sweep the sidewalks. It seems as though they've been diminished as I can't remember the last time I heard of the event.

driftless angler
Master Guide

The hatch is definitely winding down in Northern Wisconsin, but over the weekend, I did better than usual. When there are too many bugs it can be frustrating to continually put your fly over the fish (of course a challenge in the dark) and have so many naturals on the water, that the odds the fish picks yours are low. This weekend, with few bugs on the water, if I put my fly over the fish it usually ate on the first drift. Quite a few fish in the 16-18" range.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

With the air temps in the 90s over the weekend and very high humidity I didn't bother wetting a line. Now that cool temps have finally arrived I will definitely be wetting a line soon. Rain today is much needed too.

John

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

In areas of the southeast a form of this big silt burrowing drake species is commonly referred to as the Willow Fly. Sizes from 4 to 8 .

Emergence varies , and most of the waters where it is prolific are not trout water. But carp bass bream and every thing else can gorge on the nymphs and the duns at times. It can cover the decks, cars, docks and porches of lakeside homes.

Like the recent cicada hatch n some of these waters and areas the chance to take some huge fish on a fly rod is always tempting with big carp frequently gulping the willow flies off the surface at times. It is on now in some southeastern waters.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Mainers call them (Green) Drakes. I don't bother to debate the accuracy of the name. Neither do the fish.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Interesting. You can see by this photo the end of the rainbow is literally at Tim Pond in Eustis, ME. The Hex/Drakes/big mayflies were there as well, along with Jeff and the rest of the gang.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

barebo wrote:
06/30/21 14:55
Here in Central NY we have Oneida Lake and the locals called the hatch "Eel Flies". They were so prolific the village of Sylvan Beach would have to sweep the sidewalks. It seems as though they've been diminished as I can't remember the last time I heard of the event.
Bo - my friend took this picture a little over a week ago up on Route 49 - bugs were back this year with a vengeance which made the fishing a bit tough with all the critters hatching

driftless angler
Master Guide

Short Tip, nice brooks!!!

BDNGRD
Sport

Post by BDNGRD »

Nice fish!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

The old guys in the Midwest used to call it the "Shad Fly Hatch."

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Short tip, love that shot with the hex on the cork with the perfect.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”