Low water salmon flies

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Low water salmon flies

Post by gt05254 »

I have a friend up in New Brunswick that is an awesome fly tyer, particularly when it comes to classic salmon flies. He's a welder by trade, and actually only has 1/2 an index finger on his right hand...I'd have a tough time tying in that situation (wags would say I do anyway). He recently tied up two sets of small low water salmon flies...one for him, one for me if I'd frame them. Happy to do so! My copy of the framing is now on the wall below one that contains flies tied by Fulsher, Krom and Warren...he is certainly in their class of tyer!

Gary

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: Low water salmon flies

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Congrats.....those are exquisitely tied summer salmon flies with the right proportions in the dressings. The Blue Charm is one of the nicest I’ve seen. I’m on way way to the Restigouche for some grilse and summer salmon fishing and will be betting on most of these same patterns, but their not quite as pretty as yours. My favourite among your Miramichi assortment, is the Night Hawk, a forgotten, seldom used fly, that originated at Camp Harmony on the Restigouche in the 1880s. This pattern still triggers takers when a dark pattern is called for.
Regards....Jim

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Those are fantastic and look great in the frame

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

The tyer, Stephen Nye, and I as well as a couple other fellows were all bemoaning having to put a topping on a Night Hawk. Looks nice in a frame, if you never have to move the frame! Not sure a salmon would care one way or the other if it was there. Looking forward to swinging a variety of older featherwings eventually when the border opens. Stephen does tie a heck of a fly.
Gary

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

Beautiful flies and framing, Gary. They won’t be frame-worthy but you’ve inspired me to tie up some of those low water patterns for an upcoming trip to Labrador.

Bloodhound
Guide

Post by Bloodhound »

Beautiful work on the flys and that is a very classy display...nice work from both of you!

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Beautiful as usual, Gary!

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Beautiful work on both fly and framing.

Nice wall display too!
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Your work is museum quality - without question.

Can't wait to see more!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”