1960 Sports Illustrated - The Art of Wet Fly Fishing

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

1960 Sports Illustrated - The Art of Wet Fly Fishing

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

So who is the guy they call a Master and I must learn from ? Haig-Brown ? GrumpyGus ?

First of Three Parts

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 1960 Sports Illustrated - The Art of Wet Fly Fishing

Post by GerardH »

"THE ART OF FISHING WITH THE WET FLY
ON EASTERN STREAMS AND ON THE WILDER WATERS OF THE WEST, ANGLER JAMES LEISENRING, WHO DIED IN 1951, WAS KNOWN AS A MASTER OF WET-FLY FISHING. IN THIS ISSUE, LEISENRING'S OLD FRIEND AND COMPANION ANGLER, VERNON HIDY, IN COLLABORATION WITH CHAMPION FLY CASTER JOHNNY DIECKMAN AND ARTIST ANTHONY RAVIELLI, BEGINS A THREE-PART SERIES ON LEISENRING'S TROUT-TESTED TECHNIQUES BASED ON MANY LESSONS LEARNED FROM HIM AT STREAMSIDE"

https://vault.si.com/vault/1960/03/28/t ... he-wet-fly

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Go here to read the thread from the Flymph Forum about the 3-part Sports Illustrated article and the
follow-on book that was published. Great reading and the magazine contains ads that open up a time
capsule of life from 60 years ago:

https://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9598

Enjoy and Tight Lines-

Ken

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

flyfishermann1955 wrote:
08/13/21 17:14
... Go here to read the thread from the Flymph Forum about the 3-part Sports Illustrated article and the follow-on book that was published. Great reading and the magazine contains ads that open up a time capsule of life from 60 years ago. ...
Ken's quite right... back in the early 70s I purchased a copy of the SI book, that was written by Vernon Hidy before the Leisenring/Hidy The Art of Tying the Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph came out... Here in the Catskills where I fish, the Esopus Creek was created to fish wets, so I very much enjoyed both these books and the SI version was one of the few American books devoted entirely to tossing wet flies at the time... decades later I ran into Vernon's son, Lance who was kind enough to autograph my copy of his father's SI work...

Ed

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

Happy to have a couple of copies of this too in my library, along with Dave Hughes's book and . . . a lot of fly fishing books!
How do you know you have too many books? When you need to move them!

Tom

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

CouleeCountryCane wrote:
08/15/21 09:12
... How do you know you have too many books? ...
Tom, I think the real question is, does such a thing even exist? It's sort of like asking if one can own too many bamboo rods...

Ed

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I had that book. It filled in some of the gaps from the Leisenring info. Those illustrations are great.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”