Soak Yr Rod, What?

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Soak Yr Rod, What?

Post by Flykuni3 »

Jawohl, mein herr.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Brooks wrote:
08/23/21 20:58
You guys don’t fish in the rain when the baetis hold sailing regattas?
It's been a while since I enjoyed a bwo blizzard hatch. Some summers back, there was a snowstorm of the #24 tiny bwos. When I got back to the car and began to put away my gear, I saw that one side of my fly rod looked like it'd been dipped in with guacamole.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

billems wrote:
09/05/21 21:49

It's been a while since I enjoyed a bwo blizzard hatch. Some summers back, there was a snowstorm of the #24 tiny bwos. When I got back to the car and began to put away my gear, I saw that one side of my fly rod looked like it'd been dipped in with guacamole.
Fished the river all day in the rain on Friday (temps in the upper 50s) and the olives didn't start coming up in earnest until about 3:00...caught about a dozen fish in an hour on #22 & #24 dun patterns after being blanked for 5 straight hours.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I've never put a rod/reel into a stream for picture purposes but I sure get 'em wet on a regular basis. I've dropped them, fished them in rain all day and left one on the patio in a rain storm for two days - accidentally. Typically, when I am done fishing for the day, I wipe all my gear down and put it back in the cases/tubes. When I get home, all wet gear is properly attended to until completely dry and then goes back into case/tube. I've never had mold issues or otherwise negative happenings with my gear.

Pat

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

cdmoore wrote:
08/23/21 18:36
My understanding is that there is a strong desire to meet several goals simultaneously: for those who catch and release, to keep the fish in the water for the sake of the fish; to honor the maker (especially bamboo rods) by displaying the tackle "in action" with the attendant quarry (one or two pictures are often sent to the maker, more if they become friends); to document the trip, yes, but more than that to capture and remember the angler's feeling of interaction with nature / friends / family and the use of beautiful and usually sentimentally valuable tackle; and, finally, to compose an aesthetically appealing picture. Without a doubt, concerns over water and sand infiltration have been carefully considered and the decision to proceed made anyway.
I love these type of photos, I find them beautiful, especially with a rod with an interesting grip, for example, wood or rattan. You also get to see the river bottom in many cases, the vegetation, the lighting.... I think they are more aesthetically pleasant than a trout laid down on a dry ground with the rod by its side or the usual photo with the angler's smiling face. Don't get me wrong, I am not against people posting these type of photos on social media or forums, just that the water ones appeal to me a lot more, the fish, the rod, the river....

Tight Lines

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Just saw that TU is no longer going to post photos of folks holding fish out of the water. It harms the fish too much of the time. I see too many people going over the 10 second rule with fish already stressed from capture. What's wrong with....

I have been dunking my rods and reels for years without negative affect. Shouldn't the fishes life be of more importance and worth this????

Carl

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

I agree with Carl, fish should come first,course I,m fishing blue collar rods. I try and leave fish in the water. Daryl
heres one with no gear wet.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Have to say that were I purchasing a pricey rod, and seller disclosed that he is a rod soaker, I would be very very careful on that purchase.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”