Soak Yr Rod, What?

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Soak Yr Rod, What?

Post by Flykuni3 »

Interesting thing to me: guys on a Japanese flyfishing board post a lot of stream shots, and (as we know) a lot of Japanese anglers fish a bamboo rod, whether from overseas or crafted in the homeland of Japan. Those fellows also seem to use fine reels, too. Here's my observation -- I see a lot of rod and reel soaking for fish pics coming out from there. And the same sort of shot -- rod and reel in water, resting on the bottom, fish next to it -- seems to appear here on Clark's (and FB for sure). I never intentionally soak a rod or reel.

Now, I take a lot of stream shots, and I like shooting my rod of choice for the day in some cool spot along the way when the flow and light are just right. But I never soak my gear, reasons being that the handle assemblies hold water in nooks and crannies, and it makes little sense to me to soak your reel, then have to strip off line and backing to thoroughly dry, open the innerds to get out water, etc. Some of my older rods have sketchy varnish, the kind of rod that you could refinish, but don't want to because of its originality. I also tend to baby my valuable St. Georges, keep them dry, lubed and protected. Just wondering, what do you think?

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Soak Yr Rod, What?

Post by quashnet »

In his book Fresh Waters, published in 1968, Edward Weeks tells the story of a Thomas fly rod that was lost overboard from a boat, and not recovered from the river until after a week had passed, whereupon the rod was used for years thereafter with no apparent ill effect. Now that is all well and good as an anecdote about an individual rod, but to my mind it hardly represents good practice. If my equipment gets baptized by full immersion, I would rather it be due to an act of God, so to speak, rather than my poor decision.

Thanks to strategically placed rocks, this PHY Para 15 Keller DeLuxe and Hardy St. George are held clear of the water, while the fish is submerged.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I dunk my rod and reel with some regularity, often to make unhooking a fish easier. So far, no negative effects. I will say that these are the rods I make which are sealed against leakage. Do I leave them in the water for long? No. Getting caught in a rainstorm keeps them wet for much longer.

Tim

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I would never do it on purpose. Respect your tools, and they will always continue to work for you.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Guilty as charged, rod/reel dunking wise, when the water is shallow and I'm mid-stream with the banks out of reach. Easier to unhook fish and deal with stuff. Two words for a little peace of mind: Orvis Impregnated.

Kenneth

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Obviously an impreg'd rod can take it, good mention -- I love my Orvis, T&T and Leonard impreg'd sticks -- but how about unspooling all the line and backing from a soaked reel in heavy conditions since they will be wet too (to be sure)? And, the Orvis reel seat isn't impreg'd, far as I know. The blank could appear dry, but what's in the reel seat? Under a guide wrap, in a ferrule?

I've been in wet conditions, and have wiped down onstream, and returned to carefully wipe again at home, and then place rod in dry area for complete drying (reel attended to at same time). So to intentionally soak the gear during a photo shoot makes little sense to me. I actually don't enjoy looking at a soaked gear with fish photos.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I actually don't enjoy looking at a soaked gear with fish photos.
Yes, those pictures have always appeared to me to be wrong and contain a sense of foreboding…

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

20 years ago I made myself a bamboo wading staff, from a reject lower section of a 10' carp rod. This staff, although varnished at the time, has lain in the water at my side, for many hours on end. The tip of the staff has become scuffed from stones and rocks over the years, and I have not bothered to revarnish. It remains sound and not discoloured at all...so relax..bamboo can take it..

Malcolm

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

My understanding is that there is a strong desire to meet several goals simultaneously: for those who catch and release, to keep the fish in the water for the sake of the fish; to honor the maker (especially bamboo rods) by displaying the tackle "in action" with the attendant quarry (one or two pictures are often sent to the maker, more if they become friends); to document the trip, yes, but more than that to capture and remember the angler's feeling of interaction with nature / friends / family and the use of beautiful and usually sentimentally valuable tackle; and, finally, to compose an aesthetically appealing picture. Without a doubt, concerns over water and sand infiltration have been carefully considered and the decision to proceed made anyway. From my personal observation, the rods and reels are gently arranged and the location selected to reduce this risk when possible. To a man, every Japanese angler with whom I have fished (about 10) performs a complete take-down of their gear, including a full line cleaning, reel rinse, etc., immediately following each day on the water. FWIW.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

oddsnrods wrote:
08/23/21 18:26
20 years ago I made myself a bamboo wading staff, from a reject lower section of a 10' carp rod. This staff, although varnished at the time, has lain in the water at my side, for many hours on end. The tip of the staff has become scuffed from stones and rocks over the years, and I have not bothered to revarnish. It remains sound and not discoloured at all...so relax..bamboo can take it..

Malcolm
Well okay...but I'm likely not going to test this observation with my one Brandin. (or any other rod in my grasp.)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

You guys don’t fish in the rain when the baetis hold sailing regattas?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Brooks wrote:
08/23/21 20:58
Weather happens, sure, what I’m talking is voluntarily soaking gear.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Brooks wrote:

If the rod gets soaked in the act of fishing well then sure, I'll hope for the best, as Edward Weeks did with his Thomas, and I have had no problems over several decades. But for photos I still prefer the rod and reel on the rocks, and the fish in the water.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

kevinhaney1 wrote:
08/23/21 14:55
I would never do it on purpose. Respect your tools, and they will always continue to work for you.

Kevin
Ditto!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Brooks wrote:
hello, i am with you, brooks. i would never leave the river just because of a few misguided drops of water from the wrong direction. my experience is that rain provides some of the best fishing. love those regattas!
regards, jim w

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I have zero problem putting a rod I made underwater. Not so with any of the "classics" I have. Mostly because the old rods I have are not perfect. In fact I leave the classics home on rainy wet days.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

I have reluctantly over 30+ years of fishing been less concern with this. My main fishing partner (the wife) is much less concern and I have decided the worst evil is trying to enforce such a policy versus nagging my partner. I rather have her enjoying the day beside me than worrying about getting a rod wet.

Oh yes, as a result of this relaxation, a rod is more likely to get wet as I am more interested in releasing the fish under the surface, without a net. So in short, I give higher priority to the fish, the wife, fun and safety. Not saying I do not try, but I do not fret about this.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I will fish in the rain and occasionally I will accidentally dunk my tip while tying on a fly or new tippet section, but I always hang my rod in its sock for at least a day in a dry space after an outing. I never, ever intentionally submerge my rod and/or reel for a photo op....why invite trouble?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I believe any fishing rod should be able to get wet.

What would happen... if thrown in the hot tub and sunk to the bottom, left for 30 minutes... 48 hours...
Six days ?

Should only come up when those who dunk sell the rods in the future... right ?

Or is it not too much to worry about if you take excellent care of your tackle.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Since I give my rods away, I'll be happy to tell any recipient if their particular rod has been dunked by me. Most get the rods without my having fished them, so no dunking confession is necessary.

Back to what I wrote above. I fish mostly rods I have made and know that a minute or two in a river will not hurt them. All of my reels are capable of being wet. Do I respect my "tools"? Yes, but they are tools and I use them as such. Neither the rods nor the reels are put to bed wet. After a day of fishing, they are placed overnight in a warm, dry location and are ready to go again the next day.

I have no historical, rare, or collectable rods. If I did, I might treat them differently. Not having any means it's a dilemma I need not face.

Tim

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”