Bad Old Wader Stories Wanted.

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Bad Old Wader Stories Wanted.

Post by billems »

Those of us who fished prior to the Gore-Tex revolution have a treasure trove of grim experiences with wader-fail, freezing feet, sweatbox neoprenes, canvas waders the ozone caused to leave like a colander, near drowning experience. C''mon, let's destroy the myth of the "good ole days." Wader nightmares posted here!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bad Old Wader Stories Wanted.

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

1997 - Fly Tech neoprene's were my nightmare - I sent back 13 pairs of waders the them.
They called me and said stop buying our product.

Now I just wear Muck boots.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Seal Dry latex. Nuff said

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

I remember the day I bought my first breathable waders. I was fishing the Letort on a high 80 degree day in a pair of neoprene waders. After fishing the morning I was overheated and starting to feel dehydrated. As I was walking back to the car it was unbearable and I dunked my head in the stream to cool down. I drove to the nearest convenience store and guzzled some water and then drove to the nearest fly shop and told my tale. They showed me a rack of Orvis breathable waders and I bought them on the spot.

Bill
www.taylorrods.com

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

1976, I was wearing my older brother's rubber waders that he used for harvesting cranberries, I was fishing a little northern Wisconsin brook trout stream flowing through a bog that didn't have a solid bottom. I got mired in some heavy muck and finally worked my way out...barefooted. The waders must have had some dry rot and there was no retrieving the boots...as far as I know, they're still buried in that silt.

Then there was the time I was steelhead fishing up on the Bois Brule wearing Red Balls waders in the late '80s and I jumped across a little feeder and blew out the seam in the crotch from knee to knee. I hated Red Balls (save the Alex Baldwin SNL references thank you) but the price was right until affordable breathables hit the market.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

The first pair of waders I got was a pair of Proline boot foot waders at Fleet Farm. This was before "sticky rubber" and they were not felt. The tread was something you would find on what we called a snowmobile boot. Anyway, aside from not being breathable they did ok on area streams like the Kinni and Rush. They were borderline dangerous in the higher flows and rocks of the Brule. I took them on my first fishing trip out West and fished the Gallatin around Big Sky. The fishing was off the charts (spruce fly hatch), but how I didn't take a swim that day wading on those greased bowling balls I will never know. I thought for sure they were going to find my body down by Bozeman.

I made a day of it (the fishing was too good), but after 25 close calls, I entered the fly shop in Big Sky, visibly shaking from the ordeal and rented felt sole waders. All was good after that. I was able to relax and enjoy the great fishing.

When I got home, I quickly retired the Prolines.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Back in the “bad old days”, on a trip to YNP I was waist deep in a run on the Firehole. The air temp was in the 80s and the water temp was in the high 50s. For reasons unknown to me my Red Balls decided they didn’t like the chemistry of the river and all the seams disintegrated simultaneously. With a sharp intake of breath and a major shrinkage 🥶, I waded as fast as I could to shore trailing remnants of my waders. The only things that held them together were the suspenders, my wading belt and my wading boots.

I drove to Dan Bailey’s only to find out that they didn’t have my size in the new fangled neoprene waders. Not to worry. They sent a young fellow over to the Simms factory and in about half an hour he was back with my size and I was back in sweaty action.

Richard
Random Casts

a2keith
Sport

Post by a2keith »

Gee, I guess I've been waiting for this topic. I went through several pairs of Hodgman "Stretchlite" waders, but apparently grew weary of sending them back. I mailed Hodgman the following letter and photo, which still kinda tickles me when I see it. Always wondered if the picture was passed back and forth amongst the Hodgman office staff for entertainment purposes; I'm sure they must have had a sense of humor...

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

Ha Ha had the same problem with hodgman stretchlites several years ago. Leaked like a sieve right out of the box first use. Done with that brand.

I do wish there were still quality neoprenes available for early season and colder weather. I feel they were removed from the market way too hastily just when they were getting the kinks figured out. They have their place and now most that are available are lower quality and targeted to waterfowl hunters.

Weirdest waders had to be O&S systems. Thin latex rubber stocking feet with an urethane like coating applied to the inside of the main wader fabric. I do have to say they were waterproof but a bear to deal with in warm weather. Like wearing a plastic leaf bag.

Low Profile

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Low Profile wrote:
11/18/21 18:08
Ha Ha had the same problem with hodgman stretchlites several years ago. Leaked like a sieve right out of the box first use. Done with that brand.

I do wish there were still quality neoprenes available for early season and colder weather. I feel they were removed from the market way too hastily just when they were getting the kinks figured out. They have their place and now most that are available are lower quality and targeted to waterfowl hunters.

Weirdest waders had to be O&S systems. Thin latex rubber stocking feet with an urethane like coating applied to the inside of the main wader fabric. I do have to say they were waterproof but a bear to deal with in warm weather. Like wearing a plastic leaf bag.

Low Profile
Hodgeman really ruined its reputation on breathables. I once owned a pair of Wadewells, the canvas waders with the heavy boots. They were horrible heavy, but served well for one season. Next season--not knowing about the effects of ozone--they leaked like a colander on opening day.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”