Around Bishop, California

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

mvinsel
Guide

Post by mvinsel »

I think California has some of the best trout fishing in the country, and if you are willing to walk a mile it is not very crowded. You never hear of people flying to Cal for a trout vacation ala Montana.

I really liked the east side of the sierra. We fished the Owens lower section

And a few miles away the upper section where you really have to crawl to approach the fish or you'll only catch whappers.

Nearby there are trailheads at around 9000 feet that get you up to good places pretty fast. It helps a lot if you sleep at that altitude to aclimate yourself before hiking in. Up above about 10000 there are no trees and you really need to protect yourself from the sun. I enjoyed Humphrey's Basin, where little ponds like this have beautiful golden trout.

In California, the weather in the outdoors almost always is suitable for painting outdoors.

Vinnie in Juneau

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

As a young man I spent many day skiing Mammoth, enjoying a dip in Hot Creek and fishing the Sierra's around Bishop to Bridgeport. Wonderful memories and everytime I went through Bishop it was must to get sheepherder bread in the local bakery.
Firehole

uintaangler
Master Guide

Post by uintaangler »

Vinnie,

Did you paint these pictures?

Beautiful!

Bob

mvinsel
Guide

Post by mvinsel »

Yes - Thank you. And thanks to the moderators for this addition to this great web forum.
-Vinnie in Juneau

caddisman3
Master Guide

Post by caddisman3 »

Those painting are sweet and capture the essence of the area,hope you make it to Colorado soon as i would love to show you some fishing spots that would make great painting scenes.
Karl

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

I fish there every year I know all your spots, It's just a great place to fish. I loved it when they had to open up the canyon It just gave us all more options. Nice work......

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”