2 Hardy Perfect 3 5/8 reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

flyrodman
Master Guide

2 Hardy Perfect 3 5/8 reels

Post by flyrodman »

I Noticed that the 2 reels have different spool width. Is the larger spool in width considered a wide spool? Also approximate years they were made.

Jdcross
Sport

Re: 2 Hardy Perfect 3 5/8 reels

Post by Jdcross »

It would help if your pictures showed the thickness of each spool, and the thickness of each reel with a measuring tape.
Other than the one pic you have of the reel cages standing side by side, the pictures don't show the thickness differences.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

flyrodman;
To my knowledge, there was never a "standard" wide drum at 3 5/8" diameter. The wide drums were built on 1/4" increments (i.e., 3", 3 1/4", 3 1/2", 3 3/4", 4", etc.). The 3 5/8" Perfects that I'm familiar with are all narrow drum, even though their spool widths have varied slightly over time.
Lee

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Jdcross wrote:
06/09/21 18:14
It would help if your pictures showed the thickness of each spool, and the thickness of each reel with a measuring tape.
Other than the one pic you have of the reel cages standing side by side, the pictures don't show the thickness differences.
jd & Lee
Both reels are market 3 5/8 on the frame. One spool width is 5/8th and the other 7/8th, I believe

Jdcross
Sport

Post by Jdcross »

Here's the measurements from my 3 5/8 Perfect bought in 1977.
These are different from either of yours.

My understanding is the same as Lee's
Wide spools in 1/4" increments, narrow spools in 1/8" increments.

Jdcross
Sport

Post by Jdcross »

Are you sure you don't have a 3 5/8" and a 3 3/8" ?
One reel does look a bit larger in diameter.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

flyrodman;
After looking at your photos a bit more, here's my guess. Please refer back to the first photo in your post:
- Based on the check work, the reel on the left is likely one of the latest versions of the original Perfects, with the raised boss on the winding plate, or one of the re-issue series that came even later. These had a slightly wider spool than the earlier models, consistent with the photos Jdcross provided of his reel from the 1970s. If you could provide a photo of the face of the winding plate, that would help confirm.
- The reel on the right looks like a standard, post-war Perfect from the late 1940s/1950s, and the spool width is consistent with those models.
- The reel behind those two, is a nice example of what is typically referred to as a "wide drum Perfect". It has a spool which is around 1 3/8" wide, and has a revolving, nickel silver line guard, quite different from the other two narrow drum reels. If it is marked on the winding plate, it's likely a 3 1/2", 3 3/4", or 4" - a size calibrated in 1/4" increments.
Lee

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

LeeB, jdcross
'm back. Had a vehicle mishap. A photo of the winding plates and both reels are market 3 5/8th. The diameter of the spools are the same when they are matched together. One being 3/8 wide, the other 7/8. Both cages are the EXACT SIZE in diameter. The 3/8 spool fits in the cage that has the 7/8 spool. The 7/8 spool fits in the narrow cage but to wide to fit

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

flyrodman wrote:
06/26/21 13:01
LeeB, jdcross
'm back. Had a vehicle mishap. A photo of the winding plates and both reels are market 3 5/8th. The diameter of the spools are the same when they are matched together. One being 3/8 wide, the other 7/8. Both cages are :) the EXACT SIZE in diameter. The 3/8 spool fits in the cage that has the 7/8 spool. The 7/8 spool fits in the narrow cage but to wide to fit

hi. ritchie, i hope you are not hurt, those landlocks need attention! i am reading, slowly, turner, but i drive on the wrong side of the road so i am not getting much from the endeavor. it could be one of the reels is a standard, and one could be a "contracted" whatever the 'he-hockeysticks' that means hardys are so much fun! :)
highest regards, jim

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Photos of the checks. 1st dual check I hve seen thats on the 3 5/8" with the 7/8" spool. The other spool is 5/8"

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

flyrodman;
Your photos confirm my suspicions in reply #7 above. Both standard reels for their era.
Lee

Return to “Classic Reels”