Old 2.5" Reel and 3.5" Coates Aircraft reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Piscaholic

Old 2.5" Reel and 3.5" Coates Aircraft reel

Post by Piscaholic »

Hello All,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I have lurked a bit, enjoyed reading the posts and gleaned a lot of information from the forum's membership. I recently bought a box of "old trolling reels" and spinning reels through a local ad and I need some help figuring out what I have.
One of the "trolling reels" is a 3.5" fly reel made by Coates Aircraft Ltd, (Vancouver, British Columbia). Does any one know much about the history of the company as a reel manufacturer? It is the only Coates Aircraft reel one I have personally seen and I can only find a few on-line references to them, most of which were on this site. It is a click pawl reel manufactured (looks too me) with a cut-away frame for palming. It is in good condition except for the foot and one pillar (at the 10 o'clock position (handle side). The foot has been filed down and the forward edge is a bit bent but fixable. The pillar is grooved from wire line. Fortunately it is at the back because it was spooled to use as a left hand wind reel. How uncommon is this reel and does it have collector value? I have bad shoulders so most days I can't fish 9 and 10 wt rods and when I can is only for a short while. Consequently, if I keep it it won't see much use (although it balances very well on my Parametric 10 wt.)
The other reel is a an old (I think) 2.5" aluminum frame reel with a brass foot, winding plate and spindle. There are some indents on the foot that may have been identifying marks but they are almost worn off. The spool is encased in the frame and apparently not removable. The brass plate with the handle comes off and there is a crude looking brass wire single coil "spring" that keeps the spool aligned with the frame and pawl. The non-handle side of the frame is a plain aluminum plate the pins on the pillar ends protrude a bit. Did they anchor another plate that dressed up that side of the reel? Does anyone recognize the maker? It looks old but not expensive. I have an old 190? cane project rod that it might look good on if I every get around to the project.
Any comments on the reels would be welcome.

Thanks
Bernard
ImageImageImageImage

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Old 2.5" Reel and 3.5" Coates Aircraft reel

Post by steeliefool »

the 2.5" appears to be English made by Heaton.
search "Heaton" here for lots of info.

Piscaholic

Post by Piscaholic »

Steeliefool
Thank you.
Its a lot easier to find things when you know where to look! I matched it to pictures of a Heaton model 135 in a catalog page posted by Bulldog in an old thread.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

there ya go
wealth of info here
just remember to pass it on

Piscaholic

Post by Piscaholic »

Thanks again for the ID on the Heaton reel. I could still use some help if there is anyone around who knows a bit about the Coates Aircraft reel. If I am going to keep and use it I will need to reshape the foot to fit my rods but I won't to do that if if it is a rare reel with extrinsic collector value. I'm a Canuck and I haven't seen many Canuckian reels.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Another Canuckian maker, or rather Quebecois, whose wares are now worth, I imagine, a bit less than the purchase price...

I purchased one recently from the evil empire's website and it cost slightly less than the shipping. I do hope your reel is worth more but I have doubts.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Piscaholic

Post by Piscaholic »

I've heard that the Laurentian reels were well crafted, on par with J.W. Young reels. .
If my reel isn't worth much and has no collector value then I won't feel guilty about reshaping the foot to fit my rods. Its a good solid reel. If it is somehow "important" and shouldn't be modified then I may think about a new home for it.

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Hi Piscaholic,

I have a Coates. It has red handles on it. One handle has a minor split but is useable. The same pillar construction. It was completely taken apart. Even the metal label was removed and after polishing and cleaning, re-assembled. Mine is a 3.5". I have been watching for other Coates reels. How do you like it?

warmest,
Bruce

Return to “Classic Reels”