Hardy Perfect check evolution

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Hardy Perfect check evolution

Post by J Gustavsson »

This has probably been covered before but I would like to point out a few things that I believe is often overlooked.. Small variations that's been changed over time.
Exately when these changes took place is hard to know. But it can be helpful to look at when you try dating a reel.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule but. I'm only covering the trout reels here there are probably even more variation if you look at the salmon reels..
First reel is a 3 1/8 alloy reel with the 1896 check.
Second reel:
A 3 1/8" with the so called 1905/06 check. this is the early version that has a similar tensionblock to one in a 1896 check reel. This reel also has a small circular stamp on the faceplate and the early style frame with the non contoured windows. The strap over the tension screw is still machined from barstock material.
Later reels came with a strap made from bronze sheet material.

Next is another 3 1/8 with the 1906 check this is a later reel. It has a different tension block, 1910ish frame with the contoured windows, the bigger circular stamp on the faceplate. And the pressed strap over the tension screw.

1912 early version with a square spring holder made from brass (sometimes steel) [img]http://i796.photobucket.com
1912 later version note the spring holder has been changed to a screw.
Here the reels started to have the "instruction stamp" on the spool

More to come.
Last edited by J Gustavsson on 11/11/17 10:16, edited 2 times in total.

Ron Gast
Sport

Re: Hardy Perfect check evolution

Post by Ron Gast »

Those are very good photos. Thanks for sharing your information.

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Excellent!! Thank you.
I have a 3 1/4 which seems to be a transition between your second and third 1912 check reels. Mine has the same tensioner/spring set up as your second reel but has the prawl located for the larger gear as shown in the later 1912 reel. The brass pins which hold the gear seem to have the same orientation as your last 1912 reel also.
It seems that our reels represent a series of transitions, something that seems common in the evolution of Perfects.
Thanks
AgMD

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Fascinating . . . thanks! Can't wait to see the "more to come."

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

This is very valuable photographic information.
As such, I suggest it be "pinned" on this board for future reference.

Thanks, J.G.!!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Salvelinus fontinalis
Guide

Post by Salvelinus fontinalis »

What a wonderfully informative and straightforward post! I am continually amazed at the depth of knowledge of so many of our forum members. Thank you!!
Dan

Canebum
Master Guide

Post by Canebum »

This is a fascinating topic.
There's also a nice write-up, including dates, here - some silent checks are also pictured http://existentialangler.blogspot.co.za ... hecks.html

I've watched the Evans Tapes over the weekend and was just fascinated again by how many different variations there were in total - about 118 I believe.

64Emmons
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 64Emmons »

What was the change that allowed the strap over the drag adjustment screw to be deleted? A more sure way to keep the screw's threads engaged internally, so you did not need the strap to keep the threads engaged? Or something else?
Great photos, thank you.
Chris

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Chris - it looks to me that the strap over the tensioning screw was just to keep it there / from being unable to be backed completely out and dropped and lost.
I also wonder how it changed enough to not have the screws... did they bulk up the drag adjustment knobs very last thread so it could go no further... ?

by the way... I too agree this should be pinned. It is that great. Well done J Gus. I am sure this took lots of time.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Glad you dig my little write up!
The strap over the regulator knob got replaced by the little n/s clip inside. The clip is now holding the screw in place instead of the strap.
As you turn the knob counterclockwise the adustment block presses against the spring. Without the strap, or the clip, the screw would just work it's way out. The clip sits in a groove at the end of the adjustment screw.

I will try to continiue with more reels soon. Thanks!
Last edited by J Gustavsson on 02/14/17 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Rolski

Post by Rolski »

Such a great post.

What was the reasoning behind the removal of the line guard? I can see the reel get lighter by the last picture. Was that the idea, or was there an effort to conserve materials? I was guessing it had more to do with the war effort but that didn't happen until two years later.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Rolski wrote:Such a great post.

What was the reasoning behind the removal of the line guard? I can see the reel get lighter by the last picture. Was that the idea, or was there an effort to conserve materials? I was guessing it had more to do with the war effort but that didn't happen until two years later.
The Perfects where made both with and without lineguard. The lineguard came at an extra cost. I believe more reel where made without guard than with it..
Regarding the reels getting lighter. I guess that's just due to the methods are being refined over time and that some efforts where put into making things, like the check system, less labour intensive.
For instance, the check parts in the "Duplicated" reels that came later, are massproduced units instead of the earlier handmade parts. Now the workers could just grab the parts instead of making every tiny little part from scratch.

64Emmons
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 64Emmons »

I very much don't like 2 7/8ths Perfects with line guards and even prefer 3 1/8ths Perfects without line guards. It is easier to strip line while casting without line guards.
Chris

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

64Emmons wrote:I very much don't like 2 7/8ths Perfects with line guards and even prefer 3 1/8ths Perfects without line guards. It is easier to strip line while casting without line guards.
I preffer them with line guard because it looks nice and makes them more valuable.. ;)

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Ok folks, next chapter in the check evolution. I'm now heading into territories that I'm not totally familiar with but I will give it a try.. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or if you want me to add someting. The pictures are borrowed from the internet. I believe Gary Siemer is responsible for some of these great pics

First is a reel with a so called 1917 check. It's quite similar to the late 1912 , the strap over tension screw has been replaced with an internal clip to keep the screw in place.. and a new style of tension arm is introduced

Next is a reel with what I believe is a Mark 1 check. The biggest difference here from the previous reel is the holder for the pawl that now sits on a steel stantion. and the spring is made from thinner material

Then we have the Duplicated mark 2 with the non engageable spare spring and pawl.

And one of my own 3-1/8" dup mark 2 check with engagable spare spring and pawl. Note that the tension arm is changed from a milled piece of brass to a piece made from stamped N/S sheet metal

After this there are probably a few more variations but those are of little interest to me. But if someone wants to continiue with more modern reels please go ahead. :) ;) / Johan G

2020-07-27 Some editing and replacing of the missing pics have been done today. I didnt have the original pics at hand so I digged out some other ones. hope its to your satisfaction. ;)
Last edited by J Gustavsson on 07/27/20 10:04, edited 5 times in total.

upstream2
Guide

Post by upstream2 »

Last edited by upstream2 on 01/31/17 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Unfortunately I cannot contribute any knowledge to this thread concerning check mechanisms, however an earlier comment caught me eye.

'For instance, the check parts in the "Duplicated" reels that came later, are massproduced units instead of the earlier handmade parts. Now the workers could just grab the parts instead of making every tiny little part from scratch.'

I don't think that any Hardy reels parts could really be described as 'mass produced', at least up until the 1980's. Reel parts, plus those of rods(ferrules etc.),harpoons (yes they made those) gimbal's of fighting chairs, lures, plus whatever else they made were mostly hand produced, albeit in quite large batches, then polished up etc . It was a good task for the apprentices, all that filing and polishing. Parts made were put into the 'stores'. From what I understand, the 'finisher' at the bench would go to said stores for the parts needed to make his reels at the bench, where he assembled the reels. He himself would not have not made each and every part, even during the very early days of the firm. I mentione 'he', however female labour in the reel shop increased during (and around) both wars.

Walter Dingley is said to have taken a day and a half to finish/ assemble each of the reels in the picture below, according to records. Earliest 1899 (with handle crossbar). The other 1904 - 1910.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Thanks! I dont know why I wrote that.. ??? i just assumed that, since every reel before the "Duplicated" reels all look a little different, they where all "handmade". We can also discuss what "hand made" means..This is not always totally clear.. is an object that is made using some kind of machinery ever to be called "hand made"?

The pre duplicated reels are sometimes very tidy and neatly put together.. while others are a bit crude and you can see that not much love was spent on the reel. That made me think that the workers made their own parts.

The Duplicated reels are much more consistant and the spring and pawl are easy to replace.. which was the whole idea with these reels. To make these parts interchangable you need the production to be extremely consistent..

MFRS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by MFRS »

J Gustavsson wrote:Ok folks, next chapter in the check evolution. I'm now heading into territories that I'm not totally familiar with but I will give it a try.. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or if you want me to add someting. The pictures are borrowed from the internet. I believe Gary Siemer is responsible for some of these great pics

First is a reel with a so called 1917 check. It's quite similar to the late 1912 reel in the last pic, but has a different spring and a simplified pawl holder. (The 1912 reels had a little heavier hand made spring)
Johan G
The picture above indicates the check that came out in 1919. The tension block with the flange to hold the spring in place and the mushroom stanchion were the changes made in 1919 from the original 1917 check.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

I have one you might enjoy seeing, it has both a 1905 check with a quasi 1912 check and it's LHW!
banjo

Return to “Classic Reels”