Pflueger Gem questions

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

Pflueger Gem questions

Post by lloyd3 »

Handled my first Gem today. A much nicer reel than I had expected, I must say. Probably 1940s production and as has been said here before, great sound coming out of the pawl drag system (I'll bet a good fish sounds really neat on one of these). My burning question is this, we're any ever made for us southpaws? Also, how does one determine date of production? There doesn't seem to be as much information on them as there is for the Medalist reels.

Yardbent
Guide

Re: Pflueger Gem questions

Post by Yardbent »

both my GEMS (2095 and 2094) have the line 'guard' riveted in at 4o/clock so RHW

I believe there is a member would can modify to LHW....good luck

I 'think' 1392, 1394, and 1396 are LHW....and rare.!

dont know if 1592, 1594, and 1596 are too.?
best regards.....john

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Don't know if there are any lefties or if you can flip them. They are a great reel that is under priced in my opinion. very smooth and good looking plus love the sound. Love the swirled butterscotch handles.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, My favorite reel. I've never seen a LHW, but I 'don't get around much anymore.' Those are some nice ones Silver Doctor.

Jay Edwards

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Has OnePfoot ever hot-rodded one of these for somebody?

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Back when our friend Bill was with us, he and I worked out the Young Pfoot based on a real need.
Bill sent me every prototype of everything he was tinkering on, for me to try out, critque his instructions (as if they needed it) - but I was loaded with parts.

I had a NIB May '42 Gem that the plastic handle had rotted away due to bad formulation.
I pimped it out.
The Sold listing is still on my yuku page
http://bulldog1935.u.yuku.com/

My favorite Gem has always been the horseshoe - well, just because,
only made in '34 and 35
Image Image Image

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Bulldog: Thank you for that. I may re-learn right-handed cranking just so I can fish one of these Gems. Your yuku page is a treat as well.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

thanks Loyd,
There is a way to convert these to LHW, but you can't move the D-guard.
You may have to reshape the spring, but you push the pin down that bump stops the pawl, to rotate the pawl (to the position it won't otherwise go to, then push the pin back up from the other side.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Thanks Bulldog, I'm probably further ahead to get an older click pawl Medialist and convert that. I will likely get a Gem just for the pleasure of having it. These old reels are a revelation for me. I simply ran by them in the rush to acquire nicer tackle in my younger years. Life is a funny thing, I'm just grateful that I finally slowed down enough to pay proper attention to them this time around.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

The Gem continued and improved the click-pawl after Medalist went with the patent drag.

Here's the check in the May '42 Gem - the larger drag gear makes this reel much smoother than the older Medalist click-pawl.

Yardbent
Guide

Post by Yardbent »

Silver Doctor wrote:Don't know if there are any lefties or if you can flip them. ............ Love the swirled butterscotch handles...................
yep - got lucky and found this one in the UK - a 2095

as I said - the line guards really enforce a RHW configuration
best regards.....john

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That "swirl" handle has never been duplicated, and that is the best one I have seen (in my limited experience). Nice reel John!

John

Yardbent
Guide

Post by Yardbent »

jhuskey wrote:That "swirl" handle has never been duplicated, and that is the best one I have seen (in my limited experience). Nice reel John!.......................John
thank you....I also have a GEM 2094 but with a nondescript ivory handle....:)
best regards.....john

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Here's my swirl:

When I saw the advert for this reel on ebag, I thought the handle had been damaged or had disintegrated like the plastic on the Medalists of the 1940s. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. You know, for about $40 (w/shipping) these reels are an exceptional value. This one has the smaller pawl sprocket, so not as smooth as the later versions. Any guess as to production period?

Another pix:

Also, this unit needs cleaned up a bit before loading and use (I think somebody has black spray bombed it). Anything to be careful of on these?

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

1935-38
Nice reels.

Dennis

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

" (I think somebody has black spray bombed it) "

I don't think so, text on frame too crisp. Nice reel regardless!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I agree, no paint..... I've painted 'em and they don't look like that. Nice reel, and as I've said, my favorite.

Jay Edwards

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Well....it turned my hands black when I opened the box it came in and the line guide posts are black as well. Maybe they only shot part of it? What's the safe cleanup routine for one of these old girls?

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

Lloyd
Not saying it hasn't been touched up but I have a couple of Gems that have the lineguide painted. When I first received one I too thought it was a repaint until I studied it further.

Just another period of the manufacturing process.

Dennis

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Will the original paint survive a cleanup with a modern solvent? Chlorinated brake cleaner seems a bit harsh, maybe carburetor cleaner? I am a bit concerned about the non-metal components though.

I'm kidding..... I'll go the warm water and mild dish soap route first, along with a non-abrasive dish scrubber.

I'd like to see what's under the grime.

Return to “Classic Reels”