Why I Like Ugly Fly Reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Monkey Paws
Sport

Why I Like Ugly Fly Reels

Post by Monkey Paws »

Good Day All,
I like ugly reels and I am going to tell you why. I collect antiques and bring them back to life. I think this comes from growing up poor where we unable to just run out and buy something. I had to fix what I had, or was given to me. This is why I like ugly reels. The reels pictured were on their way to the scrap heap. I think my total investment on all three reels was $20. They are not very collectable or expensive but when I got them the were butt ugly. If you look at the pictures of the Miesselbach Rainbow you can see the reel looked like someone took a screwdriver to it and then brushed on black paint. When I stripped the paint off the metal was pretty rough. You see these reels all the time in the bargain box at yard sales. Still fully functional but looking pretty sad. I take these ugly reels and do a basic restoration and then sell them either to friends or at our yearly yard sale for a few bucks. Not everyone can go out and buy a Hardy or a Peetz so this gives someone the opportunity to have a nice looking basic fly reel for less than the cost of a latte. I find this very rewarding.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Why I Like Ugly Fly Reels

Post by steeliefool »

Ugly fly reels? No such thing! Just homely and without makeup.

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

I like what you did there :)
Those are my kinda reels as well
Mike

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Exactly why I like old Pfluegers. They're not as inexpensive as they used to be but....still not bad. The more beat-up they look, the better I like them.

Monkey Paws
Sport

Post by Monkey Paws »

Us old guys display our well worn gear like a badge of honor. We remember where every Nick and scratch came from. I sell these restored reels to people who are either new to fly fishing or need a reel they can keep in their truck.

jacbethke
Sport

Post by jacbethke »

Great job on all three, but I especially like the looks of the Sal-Trout. Someone will be lucky to have them, at such a fine price!

Monkey Paws
Sport

Post by Monkey Paws »

I'm having fun cleaning up this old Condex reel. When it came to me it looked like someone had fished with it in saltwater. The frame had corrosion and parts were missing. I know the reel is not worth much but it's been fun working with it thus far. I still need to mill a new screw for the spool. That will be made from brass stock. The red handle will be replaced with one made from dark Erinoid that I picked up from a seller in the UK. Last night I set up my jeweling jig and practiced on the spool of the Condex to see how it would come out . I pretty pleased with the results.

Return to “Classic Reels”