Dingley? Franken-reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Re: Dingley? Franken-reel

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I gave the reel a vinegar bath the other day and used an artist's brush to clean out all the crud. Once the brass was cleaned up I noticed that the brass piece used to mount the line guard on had striation marks that indicated that it had been filed down from the original half-coin check release. It looks like the reel was in the process of being manufactured to something similar to 'The Master' reel when something happened that halted its completion.
Possibly it could be something to do with the line guard having been fitted to strengthen the frame.

Once the reel had dried and was re-lubed I was able to do some pracitise casting in the garden. With my temporary addition to relieve the pressure on the spool brake the reel runs smooth with the check off. It is possible to use it as a casting reel or a fly reel. However, the foot is too large for my Forrest & Sons fly-rod so for the time being it will be a casting reel for bait fishing on an old 10 foot cane rod.
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The reel has been paired up with a J A Walker of Alnwick 8 foot spinning rod to make a small water outfit for the little rivers and ponds. The rod was made by James Alexander Walker who was apprenticed to his uncle John James Selby Walker when he left Hardys to form his own company JJS Walker & Co. in 1907. After JJS Walker retired, the company by then known as JJS Walker Bampton & Co, James A Walker set up on his own as a rod maker.

The rod was designed as a single handed spinning rod, probably for trout and is ideal for my purposes. As the rod maker would have been working in the same workshop when the reel was made in 1912, it makes it even more special.
Regards,
Clive

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Excellent mention of Raymond Humble - what a great thread just chock full.
The latches pictured on this page - on the Silex - that is what latch ?
sliding brass button was used
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Brian, I can't see a Silex on this page. Do you mean the reel that I bought?

An update to this thread. It looks to me that the reel started out as the model known as the Favourite, Champion or Premier depending on the retailer's choice. It has all the features or evidence of where those features should have been. I realise now that the adjuster that tensions the casting brake is out of line with the spring. It does not quite meet with the spring and therefore the reel was never going to be good enough for sale. As such the half coin check has been used to mount a line guard of sorts, the casting trigger was not fitted and a button added to operate the check. Basically somebody has converted the reject into a serviceable fly reel. As the reel was sold at an auction house in Alnwick as well as a really nice Slater latch Nottingham style reel it poses the question as whether the seller was in some way connected to the Dingley family or company. It had the remnants of an old dressed textile fly line on it so has been last used a long time ago.

Since buying this reel I have also bought a nice JJS Walker & Co Master reel that dates from between the patent being applied for and it being granted and an unbranded, but 'D' stamped Magpie style reel that has had an unusual additional spring added.

Regards,
Clive

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Sorry - I called your reel shown a Silex - my bad.

What I was drawing attention to is the latch.
The latch - question was if it is a Slater style.

Thank you kindly for your photos. Very unique configurations.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The latch on the first reel is the same as on most if not all Dingley's casting reels as well as found the other lesser known Alnwick maker's reels including the Silex models. ;)
Regards,
Clive

Return to “Classic Reels”