Hardy Husky conversion.

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Hardy Husky conversion.

Post by hoagy b carmichael »

Good morning lads:

For some reason I have never tried to convert a Husky from LHW to RHW. Turning the two-screw line guard is the easy part, but how does one convert the pressure plate inside?

Need some help on this one. My thanks,

Hoagy

Minnesota
Guide

Re: Hardy Husky conversion.

Post by Minnesota »

PkwyAngler wrote:For the Hardy Lightweight series reels (i.e. Featherweight, LRH, Princess, and Zenith & Husky) conversion is a simple process: [*]Remove reel spool by deploying the spring latch and pulling off spool. [*]View current set-up positioning for RHW of each pawl (Should be two pawls & two springs). [*]Simply reverse current pawl set-up as a mirror image and reel will become LHW oriented. Opposite pawl now becomes the "Check Pawl during retrieve. [*]Lastly, reverse N.S. line guard by removing screws (Single screw on later year to current year models) and flipping the unit. [/list] Good Luck! Pkwyangler…
This may help. I hope it does.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

The Husky referred to by Hoagy is not a reel with a pawl-setup as it is the silent check model with a cork plate drag. I do not know how/if it can be reversed but it might help you that it (as far as I know) is the same construction used in the Hardy Marquis Salmon silent check.

Regards,
Martin in Sweden

(Edit: I think it is cork, but I might be wrong - not any pawls anyway)

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Hoagy, with a bit of luck I found it... :)

I'll add it to to the Hardy fly reels paper thread as well.

Regards,
Martin in Sweden

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Post by hoagy b carmichael »

Martin:

Thank you very much for your help. I see that one can make the conversion rather easily, and I will do so today.

Stay safe.

Hoagy

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

Hoagy,
I did have a silent Husky. I sent it to Bill Archuleta for servicing. Then I sold it to Carmine. He was somewhat peeved that the drag was no longer working well after he ha adjusted it to his liking. Bill had included a note with the reel when he sent it back to me. It read: The best thing you can do with this reel is to put it on a shelf and admire it. You will never get it readjusted by yourself once you loosen or tighten it. Just saying!
Richard

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

James Hardy mentioned in his book about the firm, The House the Hardy brothers Built:

'The Husky was a Zenith specially proofed against salt-water corrosion and fitted with a silent, adjustable- tension drag and made extra strong to deal with tarpon and other strong- running sea fish. Its optional, interchangable right - or left hand wind was difficult for all but the most expert to switch and, after some use, many reels became 'bumpy' to operate. All in all it was not a satisfactory or successful piece of equipment.'

Malcolm

Return to “Classic Reels”