Orvis cfo1 made in England

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Troutquest10968

Post by Troutquest10968 »

I read a lot of threads on the orvis cfo reels but didn't see anything on a cfo1 made in England was wondering g if anybody else owns one,I pair it with the orvis 2wt 6 1/2 superfine great for the small trout streams here in WNY.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis cfo1 made in England

Post by Flykuni3 »

I have CFOS ll and lll and fit them to 6 1/2' and 7' rods, they are great reels. The CFO l might, just might, be a little lite?

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I have two CFO 123’s, great with short light rods, bamboo or plastic.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

The CFO I is a lot less common than the others. It succeeded the CFO 123. It is a great size for smaller rods.

In spite of the numbering it is larger than the CFO II. Capacity is about the same as the CFO 123.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

My I adorns my 5'5" 1/1 Tom Smithwick 4 weight, my brookie rod, though it has taken wild browns to 18" or better without missing a beat.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

I have a few C.F.O.'s in 1 and 2 sizes made in England. Also the same sizes made by Abel in the U.S. which are a little larger.

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

I think the cfo 1 with the 2wt superfine would be very nice for wny dry fly fishing. Perfect for catt and genny watersheds in the s tier.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The CFO I was intended for 1 and 2 weight lines primarily and works with 3 weight lines as well. If memory serves they will hold a shorter WF3F line with some backing. The Orvis light lines were typically 82' lines.

For my Smithwick 4 weight above, I spooled up a little backing and one half of a 90' Cortland DT4F fly line. That little rod will easily shoot some of the backing should you need to, though 45' of fly line is plenty for small stream fishing, and many Pennsylvania brook trout streams of my acquaintance are very, very small. Generally 45' of line was enough for the Cumberland Valley spring creeks back in the day as well, so within those parameters the CFO I is a versatile little reel. I also fished mine on an Orvis Superfine One Ounce 6'6" 2 weight.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Return to “Classic Reels”