Robichaud #size#

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Trout23

Robichaud #size#

Post by Trout23 »

What size is my Robichaud? There are no model or size markings on the reel.
Do you measure the outside diameter of the frame or diameter of the spool?
The frame diameter is ABOUT 2 7/8". Line wt.?

Also, any thoughts on the value of this unfished reel?

Thanks for any advise.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Re: Robichaud #size#

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I have an Orvis Spring Creek 2DT and some backing on mine and couldn't put any thing more on it . Last I looked $700 range was about right ,great reels but too highly priced in my opinion . Shame he quit making them , mine was $200 brand new .

Eddie
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Wild Skies
Guide

Post by Wild Skies »

It appears your reel is a #4. I, too; believe the value is in the $700+ range. Several years ago I sold a #3 w/removable backplate on the big auction site, it brought $660. See this thread and JR Spey's post for sizing info:
viewtopic.php?t=7596
And see slw's posts here:
viewtopic.php?t=8210
Wild Skies
Since 1951

Trout23

Post by Trout23 »

Thanks
I carefully measured with calipers and the frame is actually 2.91". So it is closer to a 3" than the 2.8" making it a #5???. Are the #4's and #5's the same w spool width or is the frame diameter the only difference?

Andy

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Robi 1 - 6 off the shelf model all have the same width, IIRC. 7 is the same diameter as 6, the only one a bit wider.

I have in front of me what I assume are a model 3, 4, 5 (2 of them) and a 6. Based on my assumption, the pair that is a shade under 3 inches are 5's (with calipers each 2.96" OD of rings) (the two examples I own have a DT4 with a bunch of backing and DT5 with 10 yards of backing). The 6 is clearly so much bigger than the 5 it is easy to tell the 6 (3.21" OD), and thus I am pretty sure they are 5's.

Working down to what I think is the 4, it is 2.80" spot on OD.

The 3 is also 2.70" spot on OD.

My guestimate is that you have a 5, and it is bit under the 3 inch spec. Though 2.91 seems way under to me. Why it would be off, my 5 off, but the 3 and 4 spot on, well, you'll have to find Mr. Robichaud about that one, though someone on this forum may know.....?......

Good luck. In any case, you have a very nice reel for a 3 - 5 line.

slw
Master Guide

Post by slw »

Your reel is very definitly a #5. It started life from 3.0" tubing, but lost a bit of diameter in the machining and polishing process. The #4 reel started from 2.8" diameter tubing and finished out slightly less than that. That's the case with all of Dave's reels. They all start from tubing measured in tenth inch increments and end up loosing about 1/10th" in the making.

The spool width for the "4 and #5 reels is the same.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

This does show how challenging these reels are to size.
Do plan ahead - find the right size.
Now how to find more...

MAY 1996
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Classic Reels”