What are your fishing reels?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Not collectors, but your fishing reels? Now speaking only for myself, my collector reels are also my fishing reels. In other words, I'm not in this game to store and admire -- I admire and fish my gear. Of course I try to take good care of all, and keep my rods and reels clean and lubed and lookin' pretty.

So my question is "what do you fish with?", and my answer is the best to the blue collar: St. George Jrs for my short rods, and 3" St Georges for 7 1/2' to 8' (I top out at 8' rods, DT5 lines). But I am a huge fan of the lowly Hardy Sunbeam, the one pictured here. This is a super example of a smooth-foot 2 3/4" model, with a lot of bluing, actually the most I've seen on one of these. Could have been made sometime in the 20s. I like them because they look a bit odd, they're heavy and balance rods well, and will last far past my lifetime because I think it's near impossible for one angler to wear one out. I own two of these small Sunbeams (they came in three sizes, 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/4"), this one's with DT3 Sylk, the other carries a DT4.

7' 3/2 DT3 rod by pal George.

The Hardy Sunbeam, horse shoe latches, later changed to the telephone latch. The largest 3 1/4" reel at left was sold, and I hope whomever bought it is enjoying the reel. (though it has to be said that an overfilled spool leads to loops getting trapped in the Bickerdyke line guard) the only downside of this reel's design. I underfill my spools on this reel.

I love the Medalist too, the American classic. Here, a 1492 with Pfoot installed by Frazier Mountain with a rod made by pal George, 6'9 DT2 silk, and like the maker sometimes you have to wait and be patient. Actually patience is always required with this medium, hand-planed small trout rod. He made it for me, my name is on it. So it's perfect.

And the king and still standing reel of reels for short bamboo rods, imho, is the reel named for the patron saint of merry ol' England, the St. George, here the Junior model. I only wish my collection were steel guide models because all my gear gets rough service, bushy, rocky courses of hell, hell I say. No park-like chalkstream environs with a welcoming pub up ahead, trimmed banks and undulating weed growth. This is welcome to the American West fishing, and may your felts be fresh on the granite rocks.

Rod by Mike Chark, 6 1/2 3/2 for a DT3.

I also own and fish CFO ll and lll reels, the 1494 Medalist, and some other British reels, Turnbull, Farlow, others. Hardys are what I reach for and fish most often. What I've learned over the years is that your choice of reel may be hugely affected by the rod -- the reel should balance the stick, should approach the age of the rod or be right on, and the whole vibe of the outfit should groove together.
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 03/15/21 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are your fishing reels?

Post by jhuskey »

I don't have great photos to post, but... Medalist 1392/1492, 1394/1494, Hardy Featherweights, LRH regular and Golden in the same sizes, St George 3" and 3 3/8", Uniqua 3 1/8", Perfect 3 1/8", CFO III's - a few others but not quite as classic. Maybe too many and not fished enough, but hey.

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

I am going against the grain but I fish my Ari T Harts, a Titanium I and a Rio Orbigo 2 with spare spools. I've covered #4 to #6 lines and that covers trout fishing pretty well. Livingstone.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I have quite a few fly reels and enjoy them all equally...

-- 70's Orvis / Hardy Lightweight -- 50's Heddon / Pflueger Medalist -- New Carlin build / Ross Colorado

plus I really like CFO's - maybe too much
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

No, not color blind - I am color stupid.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Darrell, thank you for starting what I believe will be a great thread. Like you, I use all my reels, but am handicapped (only slightly) as I reel LHW.

For those of you who follow or recall my posts, my reels of choice seem to change all to often. My current reels of choice for my 8 1/2' rods are a LHW St. George and Uniqua in 3 3/8". I fish rods from <6' to 8 1/2' with nearly every size covered at least once, so I have pair of Hardy Featherweights and 5 spools that see or will soon see regular use as will a Duchess 3" on my 6 1/2' to 7 1/2' Orvis 3-piece rods. A 3" JW Young Pridex balances my 7'9" Sweetgrass exactly where I like it and a CFO II and Flyweight see use on my 6' rod.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 03/02/21 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

At this point, I’ve decided that adjustable drag, round line guard medalists are the reel for me. 1492, 1494 or 1495, depending on the length of the rod.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Gulp - wow archer, that is one beauty of a display.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

No, not color blind - I am color stupid.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello, fly; for a long time now i only have lines on the perfect and bougle reels. i like fishing with them better than with any other i have tried. regards, jim w

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Thank you!

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Mostly I fish with Hardy reels. Love the Marquis. My go to tackle is a 3" wide body Perfect from the 20's on an Orvis 8' 4 3/8 rod and a 6 wt line. Suits most of the water I fish. I also fish with two modern Bougles but those are for LL Salmon so I only use them for a few days once a year.
AgMD

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Mostly fish with this St George repo , I have managed to find a couple of extra spools both in the black and Spitfire finish for it . If I’m out on the river for a full day I like to carry a spare spool with another silk line so I can switch them over when the first line starts to sink .

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Great stuff boys.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Hardy, Hardy ,Hardy....One would think they were the only reels made other than Medalists!
I like these..MC Symploreels
or these...pre war Shaker Russells
But mostly I fish modern, Ross Evolutions. Classic look with an excellent, adjustable drag to handle all those big fish I catch😊

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

I both collect and use Hardy fly reels for my fishing. My fishing reels are Hardy the Golden Sovereigns in the three smallest sizes. I think Hardy the Golden Sovereign is the best fly reel Hardy ever made, my favorite the last 19 years. The pictures below : 1. Hardy the Golden Sovereign in the smallest size 3/4/5 27/8` (1991-1997 only !) 2. Hardy the Golden Sovereign 5/6/7 3`(1990-1997) and picture 3. Hardy The Golden Sovereign 7/8 31/4`(1990-1997) Enjoy! Ps: The first 1000 in each size of the Golden Sovereign reels came with an individual number. My guess are that only around 2000 reels in each size were made in all, and they were sold worldwide. The House of Hardys was and is a little but world famous company.

Last edited by sovereign on 03/02/21 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I sold (nearly) all train stopping reels about 20 years ago. Now basically a Hardy (made) click & pawl guy.

Orvis CFO 123, III, IV
Hardy LRH
Sage 504L
Hardy Perfect 2 7/8”, 3 1/8”
Loop/Danielsson Midge

Still new in box: Lamson LP 1.5
Maybe selling: Medalist round guard 1494
Keeping for memory sake: Bauer M1

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Hardy Flyweight
Orvis CFO II
Hardy Golden JLH 2/3/4
Ken Sawada SU4/5

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Most are various Hardy's, Perfects, Bougles, LRH's and St Georges some old, some new, as well as a new Marquis LWT 6. Then there are CFO's III's and IV's for the shorter, lighter rods.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

i'm using recent vintage reels. redington CT 5/6's, Tibor tail water, Streamline #0, Henschel DD2,a Martin or two. i do have some still new in box: Hermann Baby Trout, Hardy Cascapedia ,one of the CT reels, Streamline#1, Orvis Battenkill. i've a few other used reels i've accumulated but never got to the water yet.
Last edited by woody osborne on 03/02/21 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

I'm still using the 1492 my folks got me for Christmas when I was about 14 or 15.

For the local ponds and streams, its all I need.

Dean.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

There are some very nice reels here! The one thing I'm surprised about is the preference for English reels amongst many, when almost all of the rods are American. I like to use American reels on American rods and English on English, but maybe that's just me...
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Return to “Classic Reels”