How do I fix my clickers on my pelueger 80/60 Progress reels?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

red 1
Master Guide

How do I fix my clickers on my pelueger 80/60 Progress reels?

Post by red 1 »

Looks like the clicker is pressed on to a shaft. If I can lift it off, what metal do you suggest I use to replace it with. I can use a zinc key or washer and file a replacement from them. I have no brass or copper lying around. Any tips?
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

joehudock
Guide

Re: How do I fix my clickers on my pelueger 80/60 Progress reels?

Post by joehudock »

Here is how I fixed the clicker on an old Pflueger Progress fly reel. With the spool off you will see the clicker pawl held in place with a pressed in pin. On my reel the bottom of the pawl had worn down due to use. It was not completely gone just about half as thick as it used to be in the area where it engaged the spool gear.
So it looked like just flipping the pawl over would get it working.
The tricky part is pulling the pin holding the pawl to the clicker button. I was able to pry out the pin using at first a sharpened small screwdriver blade as a wedge and then a tack puller to eventually work the pin free from the clicker button.
With the pin out everything just comes apart. At this point I used my largest drift punch and small hammer on my vise anvil to bend back into shape the area on the frame around the clicker button that got bent when I was removing the pin.
With the clicker pawl flipped over I hammered the pin back into the clicker button using hammer drift punch and anvil. This was a bit of a three hand operation. Using pliers to just get the pin going was a needed step.
Since I didn't have to fabricate a new clicker pawl and just flipped over the old one there was less than a half hour involved in executing the repair. An additional half hour was needed doing some finess bending of the reel frame and spool spindle to get rid of the spool rub that my clicker repair created.

red 1
Master Guide

Re: How do I fix my clickers on my pelueger 80/60 Progress reels?

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Joehudock,
Thanks for the advice. LThey have grown to become my favorite reels
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Return to “Classic Reels”