Date of this Hardy spool

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

ttroutt
Guide

Date of this Hardy spool

Post by ttroutt »

I got it as a spare spool for my Featherweight a while ago and never set it up until I pulled it out the other day and noticed the latch. I have never seen one before, all of my Hardy's are from the '70s but have the conventional latch. Can anyone give me a possible date of this spool?

Thanks,
Jim

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Date of this Hardy spool

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Also show a shot of the little dots on the gear of the spool if you could...

Wow - huge thanks to Shoeless Joe;

Patent # 658472 (applied: 13-Oct-1949 & granted: 10-Oct-1951) relates specifically to the dustproof spool latch (pictured below) that was conceived by Bill Hardy ... as I mentioned in a recent post, I always manintained that the Green Princess (1953) was the first reel to incorporate this new latch, but upon further review, I believe it was one of the first of Hardys reel to actually bear the Brit. Pat. No. 658472 inscription/stamping. In reality, the dust-latch existed perhaps as early as late-'48 and could be found on (pre-'53) St George, St John, Hydra & Uniqua reels.

dustproof latch cap introduction help :

viewtopic.php?t=18516&start=20
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Jim, what is it about the latch that you are showing that seems different? This is the same latch on all of the lightweight series (including the Featherweight) reels from the 50s certainly through at least the early 70s if not much later.

Cheers,
Joe

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Brian, below is the gear on the spool in question. Joe, below that is a the latch that is on the Featherweight that I will use this spool with. This style is the same as my others which I purchased in the mid to late 70's, which is pretty much as you stated.
Got my answer, thanks very much guys.
Jim

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

That's the first time I've ever seen the newer latch

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

ttrout - Would this be a case of, I would like another of the 70's spool for my reel, one of the era - one without the 50's era dustcap latch ?
I may have one around here... Shoot me a PM if needed.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Brian, thanks, but I was just curious about the age of the spool. It fits my featherweight fine so I will use it.
Jim

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

The earliest version of the dust proof cap was die stamped and riveted, then a machined version without the ring at the edge, and finally the one you have. Probably early 1950's on the date. These are from flyman615's earlier post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Man I just wanna eat all them ~

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

On a Hardy Silex no. 2 from 1912 to the model was replaced by the Hardy Silex Major in 1923, and a Hardy Sgt. George from 1912 to the beginning of the 1950th. and then again on replica Sgt. George Junior 1998, Hardy the Tealwight 2002 and others. Here presented with a Hardy Lightweight first model 1936, picture 1. Picture two is a Hardy Uniqua 27/8 1951-1953,picture three a Hardy Princess Green 1953, picture 4 a Hardy Uniqua 25/8 from 1954 and a Hardy Lightweight from 1953/54. From them the same cabs were used on Hardy reels many years onwards. // Steen Ps: An exception, or actually two. Hardy Marquis ( sold outside USA) had reel-cab in the shape of a tower between 1969-1972 and Hardy the Viscount had it between 1969 and 1977 ? ( picture six a Hardy Marquis Salmon, first model from 1970 sold outside USA but ow. worldwide. In the Us sold as System by scientific Anglers )

Return to “Classic Reels”