Backing for Cortland Crown 2

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Montanamagnum

Backing for Cortland Crown 2

Post by Montanamagnum »

Might not be the right forum but does anyone have an info regarding the backing amount? I have a 4 wt floating line and can’t find any specs online, thanks in advance!

Jomi

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Backing for Cortland Crown 2

Post by Caneghost »

Had one years ago. Depends upon size too. I think mine was just over 3", about 3 1/4" dia. and the reel was very similar in all respects and dimensions to the Orvis Madison III reel. Same factory I think - British Fly Reels, which was later purchased by the Orvis Co.

From the 1993 Orvis catalog the 3 1/4" Madison III held 100 yards of 20 pound backing with an 82' WF4F line. The 3" diameter Madison II held 75 yards. You will have to adjust for a 90 line of course. Orvis's light lines were shorter back then.

Hope this helps!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Backing for Cortland Crown 2

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Some recent information here : viewtopic.php?t=109841
As long as your reel is this one... a workhorse that gets the job done sorta reel... Caneghost is dead on accurate as well!
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/77124151
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”