Older Abel TR1 Spool Question

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Trout23

Older Abel TR1 Spool Question

Post by Trout23 »

As I was sorting through my assortment of Abel spools I noticed that one spool had a solid back plate while all my other spools have perforated backplates. Is one an earlier design or an option? None of my other TR reel spools have the solid backplates. I purchased all my reels and spools in the early to mid '80s.

Any ideas...thanks
Andy

MKA
Sport

Re: Older Abel TR1 Spool Question

Post by MKA »

Spools with the solid back plate were made for the solid frame reels. My solid frame TR2 came with a spool that had a solid back plate. However, I use both versions (solid and perforated spools) in my TR2 reel because I could only find an extra spool that was perforated...works fine, no problems.

Trout23

Post by Trout23 »

Were the solid frame TR an older reel or was it always an option. I had never noticed them before.

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

Yes, Abel sold both perforated and solid frames when marketing the first generation TR reel. They also sold as an option a non-perforated spool which looked very cool with solid frame TR reels.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Porting meant lighter and everyone had to have it... and it ventilates the fly line for longer life...
The most fun is crazy colors on different reels... scores and scores of color combos... its maddingly fun.
The Abel TR2 fits the X-stream 4-5-6.. shuck-em-up.. pictures coming...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”