Classic S-handle reel for trout spey?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

kakaryan
Guide

Classic S-handle reel for trout spey?

Post by kakaryan »

For my trout spey rods, Sage one 3110 and TCX 5119, I have modern reels for them, a few Sage and Abels…..

But like their big bothers, which have Saracione Mark IV Salmon on, I always found those classic S handle reels are meant for them.

So, any classic S handle reels that are light weight enough to balance modern 3~5wt trout spey rods? They would be balanced well with reels around 5~6oz…….

I only noticed two models, so far, that I have been eyeing for quite some time.

1. The Peerless 3A, but unfortunately, it is discontinued.

2. The Saracione Mark IV Trout, 3 1/4”. Would it be too small or having coiling issue when using mono running line(OPST Lazer)?

Thoughts? Any other recommendation?

I noticed the Saracione have price increase recently….and I regret didn’t get another one earlier……..

Thanks.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Classic S-handle reel for trout spey?

Post by mer »

I think your best best is keep an eye on the used market. There are a number of folks here that buy and sell for a living and may be able to help. Username "salmonid" here is a good place to start. If you look in the "Collecting...." subforum, there is a topic of "Vintage....Tackle" that has a list, of a lot.

Return to “Classic Reels”