Questions about Hardy and Orvis reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

dillon202

Questions about Hardy and Orvis reels

Post by dillon202 »

Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice on what you fellas think these reels are worth.

Hardy ‘The St. Aidan’ it’s seen lots of use so not cosmetically the best.

Orvis CFO III, not cosmetically as bad as the Hardy but again not
Perfect.

Any advice is appreciated and if anyone is interested in buying them let me know 😀

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Questions about Hardy and Orvis reels

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Quick nutshell guess is the CFO screwback is worth a bit more than the St. Aiden... they are both incredible usable reels.
Both reels are worth good money to the person who needs that reel... but given the current marketplace existing in that condition,
you are only going to get so much. Appeal enhancers like a case or box of the era would be fun to collect for funsies... if you desire.
The fragile perfect round edge of the CFO looks good from here.. that is a plus.

Interesting question - I would be very interested in the CFO for parts... and the St. Aiden is just a super cool size.
Feel free to PM me at any time if you wish... you have plenty of options here or there and just quite anywhere.

I am 'that guy' who likes the names scratched into reels myself... easier to experience that thrill ride / usually costs less.
And just look at the history of this 1920's Uniqua : I just might scratch BKS at 1o'clock and it could look super neat-o or terrible.
If you were gonna try your hand at chicken scratching metal tools to a Hardy reel - the backside of the spool is just ideal for everyone involved.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”