Saracione (or similar) 3 1/4” user opinions?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

kakaryan
Guide

Saracione (or similar) 3 1/4” user opinions?

Post by kakaryan »

So from my previous thread I am looking for reels for my trout spey rods. I am pretty set on Saracione if I am going to order new reel, unless nice second hand offerings come up with tempting price.

Talked to Joe, he suggested the 3 1/4” Trout (6.3oz) for my One 3110 and 3 1/4” Salmon (9oz) for my TCX 5119. But if I am going to buy ONE reel at the moment, my priority leans towards the 3 1/4” Salmon. Heavier, but larger capacity which could probably fits more rods in the future.

So before biting the bullet and spend the money, I am looking for users’ opinions regarding this reel size.

How versatile is it? What rods and uses does yours fit?

How large is the spool arbor when it is loaded with backing? Do you experience any coiling issue, especially for mono shooting line?

Multiplier, yes or no?

Last, for spending Saracione money, would the 3 1/4” be the pick for you among their series? Or it is better spending at their larger size, such as a 3 3/4” maybe? ( I have a 4” Mark IV Salmon already).

Cheers.

Jdcross
Sport

Re: Saracione (or similar) 3 1/4” user opinions?

Post by Jdcross »

You are talking about an expensive reel purchase
Given the cost have you measured the weight of reel line and backing needed to balance your rod?
I would guess you would want the balance point somewhere in the upper corks.

The Speyco Reel Co has a nice article here: http://flyrodbalancing.blogspot.com/.

Once you've followed this procedure you'll know the right weight for your rod and your preference.
Then you can add a reel's weight, backing and fly line and compare it to the weight you need.
Then you are in a position to decide if a reel is the right weight for you.
I wouldn't buy anything until I knew what weight I needed.

Northern Angler

Post by Northern Angler »

I have a 3 1/4 Saracione that I use with my 9' Reams 2/2 7 weight for steelhead and small mouth bass. It balances that rod well and the drag has plenty of strength to stop strong fish. It holds a lot of backing in addition to the fly line. I don't fish spey rods so I can't comment on how it would work with that set up. Regarding JD Cross' good comment above, you could tape a baggie to the handle of your spey rod, add coins until it balances, and then weigh the bag and the coins. Compare that to the weight of the Saracione with line and backing.

Northern Angler

Post by Northern Angler »

I just realized that the Speyco link outlined the same balancing suggestion which is probably where I heard about it. Sorry for the duplication.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Thanks.

I have tested the balance on the intended rods. A bit heavy, but still balance them nicely. I found that moving my grip position up or down along the upper handle generally balance most reels from 5~10oz, for the said rods.

I am just looking for general opinions about the Saracione 3 1/4” Salmon model, such as versatility, any pros and cons. Trying to justify the money spent, for such reel, would be good if it is versatile that fits the intended and future uses.

It seems to me that the Saracione 3 1/4” Salmon is not quite popular? Most of the resale or WTB posts were their 3 3/4” and 4”. Do people not prefer their smaller sizes? Or too good that owners wouldn’t let go so not much for resale?

Jdcross
Sport

Post by Jdcross »

Seems to me you want the 3 1/4” Saracione regardless of balance etc.
If you want it, buy it, fish it, and enjoy it.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

What other reels do you have? There is a pretty big difference between a 3 and 5 wt trout Spey. It’s equivalent to the difference between a 6 and 8 wt WF line. And you also have factors such as running line head length etc. I’m guessing you probably have a suitable 6 wt trout reel you can use on your 3 wt - is so get the 3.25 salmon for now - which is the perfect reel for that 5 wt trout Spey.

John

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

I do not have a classic salmon fly reel but have several Saracione trout reels, most of which are new in box. My suggestion to you, you will own more than one rod in your fishing career, so if versatility is an issue, buy the reel you want and have Joe make you a spare spool, if you’ve the budget for this. I buy most of my reels “second hand” or new old stock. Check Robert Selb’s website. Figure that if you buy second hand and decide to sell, if not abused you’ll likely get most of tour money back. Just my two cents. I have fished Pacific Salmon and use Ari Hart reels and Abel Big Game reels (that I bought new, second hand)

Return to “Classic Reels”