Reverse Retrieve on Hart Reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

gallinski

Post by gallinski »

Hello,

Own a Ari T Hart F3 Lake Taupo Reel and need to reverse the retrieve. The drag is working for a right hand retrieve and need it for a left hand cranker. I also can not find the owner's manual as well. Image Any help would be great. Image

JR SPEY
Guide

Post by JR SPEY »

I think if you did a search you'd come up with quite a bit of info on this as I'm quite sure it's been covered recently. Anyway, essentially you have to switch the bearing housing which means to you need find someone who has one set up for LH. While it occasionally is possible to press the bearing out of the housing, more often than not it won't work or you'll damage either the bearing itself or the housing. Since ATH is no longer in business it is starting to become difficult to find these housings, especially in LH retrieve. Try contacting Jeff Bowen at brooksfish@aol.com. He was the ATH/USA distributor and did have parts the last time I checked with him. I would recommend sending the reel to him for conversion even though it'll cost you a small fee. There are issues with spacers and the like that means that just swapping bearing housings doesn't always make your reel operable in the new direction. Jeff, if he has the housing, will install it and make sure the reel is running correctly before he returns it to you. There was also a post on here no more than a week ago that said that Bill Archuleta is also set up to do this. He's at 888.332.7335
Last edited by JR SPEY on 04/19/08 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

I will confirm that Bill Archuleta can perform this conversion.
He switched an ATH Rio Orbigo for me.

Very quick turn around and reasonable cost, in my opinion. Something I would never have attempted, as per JR SPEY's description.

Bob

gallinski

Post by gallinski »

I have tried researching on line but haven't been able to find anything until I found this website. I appreciate the help and yes let me know if Mr Archuleta can fix this issue. It has always been set up as a left hand retrieve and it must have changed when I have been switching lines and removing the spool. I thought there was a way using the lock system that holds the spool without taking it apart, but sending it in will be good also. Thanks for everyone's help!Image

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

Archeluta's Reel Works

I would contact Bill and explain the situation with the Taupo in detail.

Bob

JR SPEY
Guide

Post by JR SPEY »

gallinski wrote:I have tried researching on line but haven't been able to find anything until I found this website. I appreciate the help and yes let me know if Mr Archuleta can fix this issue. It has always been set up as a left hand retrieve and it must have changed when I have been switching lines and removing the spool. I thought there was a way using the lock system that holds the spool without taking it apart, but sending it in will be good also. Thanks for everyone's help!Image
Whoa! You've introduced another situation entirely. These reels do not switch themselves, no matter how many times you remove the spool or line. The only thing that could have happened is that your bearing fell out of the bearing housing (which absolutely shouldn't happen) and when you re-inserted it you did so upside down. Even that can't happen by just removing the spool. You have to remove the bearing housing for there to be room for the bearing to fall out. My guess is you got something else messed up and it appears (or feels) that the reel is retrieving in the wrong direction. However, if you've never removed the bearing housing it can't switch itself to RH retrieve. Contact Bill or Jeff and be specific about what happened. They might be able to give you a fix you could do yourself and save the $$$ and time away that sending it in requires.

gallinski

Post by gallinski »

Again thanks for all the help. I am sending it to Arch for repair in Oregon. Image

Return to “Classic Reels”