Classic looking reel with silent drag

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Is anyone making a modern reel that looks classic but has a silent disk type drag instead of the classic click and pawl drag system? All of the high end modern reels look like they belong on the Star Ship Enterprise and look totally out of place on a bamboo rod. I want a reel with a good drag system -- something that can be tightened down and it actually works like a drag should. It doesn't need to be be totally silent but it should at least be somewhat quiet. Loud to me just means giving away your location and scaring game. I have an older Bauer M4 that I really like but it's big -- I'm looking for a 4/5 weight reel. 3 to 3.25" exposed spool modern type reel that has a good drag and looks like an Orvis CFO. Which brings up the idea of modifying a CFO -- take out the click and pawl drag system and replace it with something quiet and effective. Any ideas?
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

Brier549
Guide

Re: Classic looking reel with silent drag

Post by Brier549 »

You can get an Orvis BBS and easily remove the plastic clicker arm and have a silent reel. Or look for the Battenkill disce drag reels, I believe they are silent.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Hardy LRH silent check.
Doesn’t get more classic than that

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Here is an idea :

Marquis Silent check - https://www.spinozarods.com/products/ha ... k-fly-reel
Above is a SOLD example from Spinoza.

These have a drag that functions well - they are silent - and look great on anything.

Mine is currently in LHW and thus far I have not been able to convert it to RHW...

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I had an Abel Big Game #2 - silent as line was taken out and a very slight click winding in line. The #2 is for 7-8 wts.
The BG comes in a #1 and #0 but not sure on specs.

The drag was smooth and powerful (very)

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Hardy the Golden Sovereign (1990-1997) is a reel you can use both ä silent and with click check same goes for the Hardy Sovereign 2000 (1999-2001). Hardy the Sovereign reel gives you the choice of Silent or click check, change in a split second on a little button on the back side. Lor R hand wind change on a little button inside the spool. A super sensitive and strong break etc. I think Hardy Sovereign reels are the best fly reels Hardy ever made. Very expensive to purchase back then, now you can find them to almost the same prices but after 30 years of inflation its a bargain ! For my part I prefer the click check, I like to follow my fish in the water guided by the sound of the reel. If used silent you will have to follow the movement of the the spool and don,t get the 100% attention with the water and the fish.

Last edited by sovereign on 09/05/21 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Pezon e Michel made a Parabolic Model reel with silent drag. They show up time to tome and sell too cheap in my opinion

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Brier549 wrote:
09/04/21 07:31
You can get an Orvis BBS and easily remove the plastic clicker arm and have a silent reel. Or look for the Battenkill disce drag reels, I believe they are silent.
The older (90's) orvis battenkills are indeed quiet, not silent. The newer battenkills are a little louder.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

How about a Hardy Husky with its classic Light Weight model styling? This reel has the same wide spool design and dimensions as the Zenith, but is a Silent Check disc drag model with an adjustable side mounted knob with indented settings. The reel can be converted to left or right hand wind and features the versatility of a quick release spool. Extra spools are available to carry a variety of lines to meet with the changing conditions along the river. This is one of my favourite Hardy models for trout, grilse, ouananiche, and steelhead fishing. The reel also looks great paired with a cane rod.
Regards from the Restigouche.....Jim

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

jhuskey wrote:
09/04/21 13:44
I had an Abel Big Game #2 - silent as line was taken out and a very slight click winding in line. The #2 is for 7-8 wts.
The BG comes in a #1 and #0 but not sure on specs.

The drag was smooth and powerful (very)
There’s also a 0.5 model, rated for lines 4 to 6. I have this in the cheaper Xstream version, the one with round spool perforations, which is a Big Game in disguise. (I believe the Xstream with the teardrop perforations is a click pawl). I use this with a 5 weight line. It looks good on any rod and can smoothly handle anything the rod and line can.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Hardy the Viscount II 1981 to 1983 only. This reel model came in a silent check too, 1982 and 1983 only. They are very rare reels to find. I don,t know if they ever were sold in the USA. Here in Europe very few seems to fancy a Silent Check reel so not many around. The Hardy Viscount II is the rarest of them all. The Hardy Viscount II Silent Check came, as the other Hardy Viscount models in three sizes 130,140 and 150

Last edited by sovereign on 09/05/21 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The Ocean City 35 is silent

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

jim royston wrote:
09/05/21 08:44
Doesn’t look like an exposed spool rim — a lot of responses list older reels — eBay or Etsy type of purchases. So I’m gathering that almost no one today is manufacturing an exposed rim disk drag type reel —except the Orvis Battenkill seems to be a close fit
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Thank you all for your replies — I have looked every recommended reel up. When I said I was looking for a “modern reel that looks classic” I meant that it is currently being manufactured and is available to be purchased new. A current model. I’m not looking for a “classic reel” — just one that looks classic. Not a click pawl reel — but exposed rim and a good quiet disk drag.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

RSalar wrote:
09/05/21 10:20
jim royston wrote:
09/05/21 08:44
Doesn’t look like an exposed spool rim — a lot of responses list older reels — eBay or Etsy type of purchases. So I’m gathering that almost no one today is manufacturing an exposed rim disk drag type reel —except the Orvis Battenkill seems to be a close fit
Fly reels are not near to space-science you can find a lot of good items made many years ago. To ask for a classic look is for many younger fly-fishers "stone-age". Probably the times will change but most of todays reels has the modern LA look ( like a part from a washing-machine)-I see a future when classic reels becomes modern again, fashion come in waves and I´m glad that I got a little part of the older nice reels in my collection. Tight lines !

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

And, the Ross Etna (the Double R Series) is pretty classic looking.

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

I pair my Bauer SST reels with all of my classic rods whether they are made of bamboo, graphite, or glass and think they pair just fine. They are still for sale...new...from some dealers on closeout. They have one of the best sealed drags made today, you can palm the spool, and are designed with soft outgoing click and silent retrieve. I think it's classic looking because...well, it has round holes:)

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Marryat.... Silent in, click out, nice reels.

Jay Edwards

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Current product no, but can be found on the secondary market. The Galvan Standard reels in 2.5", 3", 3.25" and 3.5" diameters have classic looks and dimensions in a beautifully machined anodized reel with one of the best disc drags would seem to fit your wants.

Photo shows the smallest reel, the 2.5", face also ported with round holes.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Godfrey and many other smaller co. reels can easily be requested with silent drag that actually works and has single direction application. Look for the ones where the clicker is not part of the drag itself.

Return to “Classic Reels”