Hardy Marquis quality changes

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Hardyrod1974
Sport

Hardy Marquis quality changes

Post by Hardyrod1974 »

I'm looking into purchasing a Hardy Marquis #5 or #6.
Was there much in the way of changes, with regard to quality, between one made in the 1970's vs. one made in the 1990's?
Would there be much difference in their present day value?
Thank you
Richard

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy Marquis quality changes

Post by PYochim »

I think the more recent ones are better. I have the 4 and 5 and there are a few differences for the better. First, there is a bi-directional line guard so one does not have to fiddle with reversing it when changing direction of retrieve. Gone is the old reversible line guard with the soft metal screw. Second, the frame is not a complete circle. There is only the back plate and line guard. Third, the plastic spindle cover and spring adjuster have been replaced by metal.

Having owned both, I think the re-issues are better.

Last edited by PYochim on 09/16/21 09:20, edited 2 times in total.

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

I just returned from Alberta and fished 5&6 Marquis from the seventies, seamless!! Not much else to say. Livingstone.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The Marquis is a great reel... one of the best - thru the years. I cannot speak for the newest iteration... but hear glowing reviews.
When you you are fishing a very good example... the Marquis makes one of the smoothest sounds on Earth.

Take your time. Learn these reels first... there are look alike variations and versions to avoid.
Last edited by Brian K. Shaffer on 09/08/21 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'm a fan of the older ones. Darn hard to beat'em. "Work Horses" I say. Plus the color finishes on the newer ones leaves me cold. Could be that the newer ones haven't earned their patina yet.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

My "prized" reel in the '70s was the System 5. I felt that it had all the features of the CFO at half the price. It never let me down. That said, I think the newer Marquis' are nicer looking.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hellmtflies wrote:
09/08/21 08:24
I'm a fan of the older ones. Darn hard to beat'em. "Work Horses" I say. Plus the color finishes on the newer ones leaves me cold. Could be that the newer ones haven't earned their patina yet.
I'll bring mine to the gathering Saturday.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I sort of like the older ones.

OP asked about differences in 70's and 90's Marquis. Didn't the new version come out in the last six or seven years?

Barry

Hardyrod1974
Sport

Post by Hardyrod1974 »

Yes, my question was regarding the 1970's era vs. the 1990's era. Before the 1970's I probably can't afford one and the newer stuff has probably been cheapened too much.

PYochim- How would you define "newer"? Could you post a picture showing the back plate and line guard?

Posters- Please, when you use the terms "older" and "newer" please be a bit more specific, those terms are too vague to help me.

Thank you all.
Richard

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hardyrod1974 wrote:
09/08/21 11:19
PYochim- How would you define "newer"? Could you post a picture showing the back plate and line guard?
Richard, sorry for the misunderstanding regarding dates. My two are current production.

Back plate. No plastic spindle cap or knob.

Line guard. Look mom, no screw!! I think it is a much better design. The spring is a different design than the old ones also.

Not to intentionally steal the thread but this question may be relevant. Did Hardy ever produce the Marquis in South Korea?

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I don't recall seeing the Marquis for sale here in the 70s, maybe by agreement with 3M who promoted the original system reels heavily. At the time, the lowest price "Hardy" reel was the System, a big upgrade from their earlier Hardy made reel. All the bamboo guys I knew back then fished Featherweights and Lightweights, all of them.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

The older models 'Marquis' - pronounced Mar-qwis, Mar-kee being an large outdoor party style tent.. were some of the last of Hardys hand made reels, which is why they have my vote. In their 1987 film- The Art of Fly Reel & Rod Manufacture, the Marquis is one of the reels featured from the foundry to machined on a lathe, then hand assembled in Alnwick (pronounced Ann-ink..).

Here is a photo of their catalogue from 1987, along with my only Marquis a #4.

Malcolm

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I have a full set of '1998's that were hand-poured and then finished on a lathe. I was able to "work" in the factory in Alnwick for several days and it was wonderful to watch the process. If Shoeless Joe is reading, he might know when they switched to all CNC, he was working for Hardy around 2000. . .

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

The new ones are better. No plastic parts. and the drag is much smoother. In fact, it has the smoothest drag of any reel I've owned. Much smoother than the Lightweights.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I have purchased some new Hardy reels in the past couple of years and offer the following comments. The old Marquises were sturdy and reliable - excellent reels. When considering buying a new one, I compared the Marquis with the Duchess. The Duchess seems better built and doesn't cost a whole lot more. They also have greater backing capacity if that is ever to be an issue. The one caveat I would make for any of the new Hardy models is that the reel feet are higher so you need to be careful when it comes to fitting them to a rod with a cap and ring seat.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

PT48 wrote:
09/08/21 19:00
When considering buying a new one, I compared the Marquis with the Duchess. The Duchess seems better built and doesn't cost a whole lot more.
The Hardy website shows the Duchess as having the removable single direction line guard with the screw. I don’t plan on changing the direction of retrieve but I have had those screws loosen over time and one needs a special screwdriver so as not to damage the screw. I handled one of the newer Perfects yesterday. It has no line guard.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The Duchess has two line guards, one for each direction

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

I have several, older Marquis reels. One that I had bought used from a horse-trader from Massachusetts developed a problem with the spool rubbing on the rim. Closer inspection revealed that the edge of the spool had been bent and straightened in the past. After determining where it was binding a slight tweak with pliers got it to where it no longer rubs. The gap between the rim of the spool and frame is fairly narrower, so it would appear that a minor accident could render the reel inoperable fairly easily. I am very careful with my equipment but for this reason I would opt for a modern Marquis or a Princess or LRH.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Avoid the very earliest Marquis and equivalent Scientific Anglers # reels. They have a very basic drag with a plastic covered spring (as per the Viscount). I believe these are easily recognised from the externals by having only a single rivet on the back plate. You can see photos of external and internal views in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=113156&p=799429&hi ... ng#p799429

Also be aware of the multiplier, silent check, and disc drag variants that emerged over the years. Nothing wrong with them but they only meet niche needs IMO.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Mahseer wrote:
09/13/21 03:23
Avoid the very earliest Marquis and equivalent Scientific Anglers # reels. They have a very basic drag with a plastic covered spring (as per the Viscount). I believe these are easily recognised from the externals by having only a single rivet on the back plate. You can see photos of external and internal views in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=113156&p=799429&hi ... ng#p799429

Also be aware of the multiplier, silent check, and disc drag variants that emerged over the years. Nothing wrong with them but they only meet niche needs IMO.
My first 'good' outfit was the System 4, rod and reel. The reel innards are as described. One thing to know is that the plastic spring shrinks (temporarily) in very cold weather (30's Farenheit) and loosens up.

tl
les

Return to “Classic Reels”