Reversing the check in a Hardy click-pawl right hand wind reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Godfroy
Master Guide

Reversing the check in a Hardy click-pawl right hand wind reel

Post by Godfroy »

I recently received another nice old Hardy reel from Nate at Freestone Vintage Tackle.

It is a Hardy "The Lightweight", not to be confused with the LRH Lightweight although the spools are the same size and can be interchanged.

Although the reel has dual pawls and springs both sets are orientated for right hand wind (RHW).

The small amount of line wear on the reel indicates that in the past it was mainly used LHW. Presumably the owner was prepared to accept the greater resistance on winding in compared with winding out. I would now find it an irritation fishing with a reel like this and early in my fishing career, probably about when this reel was made, I lost a large sea trout using a click-pawl reel mounted backwards when the weaker out spring resulted in a huge over-run and line tangle.

One could add extra pillars to the back of the reel to allow the springs to be reversed. Simpler than this, and without making any irreversible alterations to the reel, is to make a new leaf spring which reverses the orientation between the pawl and the tip of the spring.

This works so well that I don't feel the inclination to change the second spring although, if I did, I would have the option of a three degree check. Unless both springs I made came out exactly the same, which is unlikely and I could adjust them to be different, I would have the options of light spring and pawl or heavy spring and pawl or both springs and both pawls.

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Re: Reversing the check in a Hardy click-pawl right hand wind reel

Post by FreestoneVintage »

Thanks Paul! What material did you use for the new spring?

Nate

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

The original spring is 1.8 mm wide by 0.8 mm thick. The nearest I could find in my workshop was some springy 1.0 mm thick stainless steel sheet. I sawed off a 1.8 mm wide strip of this so the replacement spring is 1.8 mm by 1.0 mm stainless steel. Some stainless steel is springy and some is bendy but the replacement spring feels just like the original only with the direction reversed.

It is a really nice reel, Nate, and I happened to have a spare LRH Lightweight spool which fits it so I can use it with more than one line.

Paul.

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Post by FreestoneVintage »

Perfect! Looks like it was a straightforward conversion.

Tight lines!

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

I like your thinking on this idea,if the longer shaped spring will stay in place with use you may have solved a problem for those that reel left and done no permanent change to the reel.Please let us know how this works after using it awhile.Thanks for sharing our idea,the best ones always seem so simple once someone else thinks of it. Daryl

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Thanks Daryl!

The new spring seems very stable. I made it curl around the pillar so that it requires a firm push to get it on or off, just like the original Hardy spring.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I could see a secondary market for such a spring. Given the wide availability of the Lightweight and the LRH, you could likely sell a bunch of springs if not too costly.

Cheers,
Joe

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/22/21 06:56
I could see a secondary market for such a spring. Given the wide availability of the Lightweight and the LRH, you could likely sell a bunch of springs if not too costly.

Cheers,
Joe
I did not think of that, Joe. I am more of a tinkerer than an entrepreneur. I would rather go fishing. If anyone else wants to do this, I would be delighted.

I am surprised that, as far as I know, no reel manufacturer has done something like this. Youngs use an assymetrical pawl, as do Shakespeare in their "Internationl" reels (below). You just turn the pawl over to go from RHW to LHW but reversing the direction of the spring works better.

WYETHUNDER
Sport

Post by WYETHUNDER »

Godfroy,
Interesting, I posted the same idea on here under ‘Classic reels’on 15.05.20
Called it: Converting vintage Hardy Perfect to LHW
Seems we have the same thoughts, mine has held up well.
Though I got some criticism for contemplating doing such a thing to a Perfect!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

WYETHUNDER wrote:
10/19/21 16:23
Godfroy,
Interesting, I posted the same idea on here under ‘Classic reels’on 15.05.20
Called it: Converting vintage Hardy Perfect to LHW
Seems we have the same thoughts, mine has held up well.
Though I got some criticism for contemplating doing such a thing to a Perfect!
Thank you and well done! I am sorry that I missed that thread last year or I would have referred to it or probably just not bothered posting mine. I am glad yours has stood the test of time. I have now read your original post and the comments. The whole point of this trick is that no permanent change to the original reel is required. "The Lightweight" reel has more space to work in.

This was the first opportunity I had to try the idea. All the reels I have used since the 1960s have been LHW or dual/reversible check. Even the only Hardy Perfect which I owned for a while was built LHW.

WYETHUNDER
Sport

Post by WYETHUNDER »

Thanks Gofroy,

I think it was well worth posting yours too, and yes its a mod that does no damage and is easily reversed.

Return to “Classic Reels”