Abel Orvis CFO 1 Question

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Scooter1942

Abel Orvis CFO 1 Question

Post by Scooter1942 »

I recently purchased a new old stock Abel manufactured Orvis CFO 1. Gorgeous little reel. However, I've noticed something about this CFO that is unlike my CFO III that has me in a bit of a conundrum. My Hardy made CFO has a very light retrieve and the click/drag increases resistance has I dial it up with the little switch. The Abel made CFO 1 on the other hand, has the same amount of "drag" both incoming and outgoing. I can dial it up with the switch or back it off, but I'm bothered by the fact that the retrieve has a fair amount of resistance. The reel is set up for LHW and the pawls are set up precisely has the manual indicates and exactly the same as my CFO III. Were the Abel made reels just designed this way or could it be due to a stronger spring? I will say the Hardy CFO III has significantly less drag when dialed all the way up, so it could boil down to a spring that has weakened over time. What say the hive?
Last edited by Scooter1942 on 10/19/21 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Lupalupa
Guide

Re: Orvis CFO 1 Question

Post by Lupalupa »

I have no information on the cause, but can confirm that I have this behavior on an Abel made CFO II

Seth

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis CFO 1 Question

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Great reels... maybe the best CFO made.

As these reels are new.... sounds to me like a new reel that is not broken in.
These noticeably larger springs are strong. Very strong in this case. I had this smallest size
but moved it for a size 2 and then a 3. Below.

When you feel you can bend the springs - just go slow. Don't use metal tools.
Know what you are bending. Practice first on something else.
You can look up on this forum how to bend the correct thickness of piano wire
into a new spring for your CFO and bake it to the correct temperature to last another century.
There is no need to call Orvis or Abel for replacement springs, but you probably can.

Or, you can even swap out springs from another similar sized reel - hopefully utilizing a lighter spring,
however in this case, I say just bend these originals to your desired tone and feel.

It is yours now - make it yours / make it work for you.

In your title - add the words Abel before CFO. It will help the search function later.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Re: Abel Orvis CFO 1 Question

Post by Cross Creek »

I have two of them, and both have noticeably less resistance (and a lighter sound) on retrieve, although fairly robust. Do you perhaps have both pawls turned the same way and engaged? If not, try switching which one is engaged (turned the right way for LHR, of course.

I’m quite impressed with these reels. I would rate them a significant step above my Hardy and BFR CFOs. That last numbered edition Hardy CFO III excepted, but I no longer have it to compare. The Abel CFOs remind me of the photos I’ve seen of the original Stan Bogdan prototype, with a different check mechanism.

Return to “Classic Reels”