Orvis Madison 6/7 Pflueger Model Equivalent?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

j.robillard
Guide

Orvis Madison 6/7 Pflueger Model Equivalent?

Post by j.robillard »

Hello,

I've searched through the Classic and Fiberglass forum archives and have found conflicting information on this question. Was the Orvis Madison 6/7 (manufactured by Pflueger) equivalent to the Pflueger 1494, or 1495? Based on weight and diameter it seems that the 6/7 is a 1494, but many people in past responses have stated that it's a 1495.

Anyone ready to make a definitive statement?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

trland
Master Guide

Re: Orvis Madison 6/7 Pflueger Model Equivalent?

Post by trland »

I have a 4/5 and its spool is completely interchangeable with the 1492. Not having one, I can't say for sure but I would think that the 6/7 is one size larger therefore equivalent to the 1494. If you have the diameter comparisons that would be definitive.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

It is smaller than the 1495. It's about 3 1/4" diameter

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

Thanks for the responses. This is helping. I was hoping the Orvis 6/7 was a 1494 equivalent. I'd like to have one along side my modded 1494, but don't need anything larger than a 5wt 1494.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

flyinorvi
Sport

Post by flyinorvi »

Just confirming that the Orvis Madison 6/7 is the equivalent of a 1494. The spools are also interchangeable. (I just double-checked.) Hope that helps.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

I'll also confirm. Madison 6/7 is indeed a 1494. And as above, the 4/5 is as a 1492. I will be listing a 4/5 here soon, actually.
Mike B

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

That’s good to hear. Thanks for confirming this for me.

Take care out there,
Jeremy.

-Harry Middleton.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

I owned one a few years ago. I also can confirm it's a 1494.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

Thanks everyone.

Indeed, I now have an Orvis Madison 6/7 in my possession and it is a rebadged 1494. I've read that some folks have had difficulties with interchangeability of the spools; however, I have no problem swapping my 1494 spool (6 rivet) with the Madison 6/7 (3 rivet) spool. The reels are remarkably similar in regards to craftsmanship, but at the risk of sounding pedantic here are some observations. The finish of the Madison is (IMHO) maybe a little cleaner, but my preference for the gun metal paint might be causing some bias. The plastic handle and spool cap on the Madison seem to be of a softer material. The Pflueger 1494's machining is just a little cleaner and tighter. The spindle and spool have no play and the spool syncs up closer to the reel cage. That said, I imagine this could be different for any reel off the assembly line. Lastly, the Madison ways just 6 grams more.

Well, I'm very patiently waiting for new drag plates, reels seats and spool balances for both reels. FYI, Both One Pfoot and M-parts are out of some parts.

Take care out there,
Jeremy.

-Harry Middleton.

Return to “Classic Reels”