Trying to date granddad's old St John

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

PaddyontheMask

Trying to date granddad's old St John

Post by PaddyontheMask »

Hi folks. Shameless almost-new-poster asking for help! I'm about to tackle converting my granddad's old reel into LHW by modifying the spring and potentially the pawl, but prior to any work I'd quite like to date the reel, if possible. I've had a rummage around previous posts but thought asking outright might also produce some wisdom from you lot, as well as giving me the opportunity to share a couple of pics of this very pretty reel.

Wishing you all a peaceful weekend,

Paddy

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Trying to date granddad's old St John

Post by SpringCreek »

It would be helpful to see the interior of the reel for any makers initials, however the reel was made between 1927 and WWII. It has circular stamping on the back and a ribbed foot. The ribbed foot was used from 1927 on, and the circular writing was used through World War II.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

PaddyontheMask

Post by PaddyontheMask »

Thanks Jim. Only marking I can find is '32'. Could it be as simple as 1932?
Interesting position of the line wear too, for what seems to be a right - hand - only winding reel.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Thanks for sharing the additional photos. The "32" is simply a part stamp used to keep specific parts identified through the building process. Unfortunately it doesn't help date it.

Best of luck

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

3wt monte
Sport

Post by 3wt monte »

Welcome to the forum, Paddy. Regarding the line groove, it looks like the reel was fished “rings up” (i.e., with the rod held so that the reel and line is above the rod, rather than hanging below), still reeling right-handed….Monte

PaddyontheMask

Post by PaddyontheMask »

SpringCreek wrote:
10/23/21 10:19
Thanks for sharing the additional photos. The "32" is simply a part stamp used to keep specific parts identified through the building process. Unfortunately it doesn't help date it.

Best of luck

Jim
Thanks Jim! Shame about the lack of detail. You'd have thought they could have a least put a QR code on it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Not to worry. It's a very satisfying piece of machining to hold in the hand. I'm worried this might grow into a collection.

Paddy

PaddyontheMask

Post by PaddyontheMask »

3wt monte wrote:
10/23/21 12:42
Welcome to the forum, Paddy. Regarding the line groove, it looks like the reel was fished “rings up” (i.e., with the rod held so that the reel and line is above the rod, rather than hanging below), still reeling right-handed….Monte
Funny how pretty much everything's changed in the ensuing 80 years. Rings down, line running to other side of reel, dominant hand holding the rod rather than winding. I wonder what other bizarre stuff they got up to...

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

PaddyontheMask wrote:
10/23/21 23:24
3wt monte wrote:
10/23/21 12:42
Funny how pretty much everything's changed in the ensuing 80 years. Rings down, line running to other side of reel, dominant hand holding the rod rather than winding. I wonder what other bizarre stuff they got up to...
well, some brave souls attempted to drive their XK 120's after dark.
regards, jim w

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

It is a more desirable model as well - due to the addition of a brake.
That brake is the drag system.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Classic Reels”