Need help on a Dingley

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

crs2006

Need help on a Dingley

Post by crs2006 »

Hi all,

I just picked up this 3 inch Horseshoe latch Dingley Made for Eaton & Deller, was wondering approximated dates/values/history etc

it is a Uniqua style stamped D2 inside the frame, with a 2 on the smooth brass foot

this is the first Dingley ive had, so im not totally familiar with them or Eaton & Deller

Thanks y'all

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Need help on a Dingley

Post by headwaters »

I believe it is generally acknowledged that the horseshoe latch Dingley Uniqua reels are approximately dated from the 1920s and maybe into the '30s. There is an Eaton & Deller Dingley reel pictured in Patrick Garner's and Brian Taylor's book "D is for Dingley (p. 68) -- The Master Reelmaker, although not the the Eaton & Deller badged horseshoe latch Uniqua.

crs2006

Post by crs2006 »

thanks for the info, its a nice little reel, will probably end up on my 4 wt

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It has to be at the earliest 1912 and given the WW1 period you can discount 1914-19. So, statistically more likeĺy to be from 1919 onwards.

Eaton & Deller are a London company having had premises at 6 & 7 Crooked Lane in the City of London from 1857 to the mid 1950's. Some of the rods sold by the company in the early part of the 1900's were made by the Alnwick rod maker J.J.S. Walker and retailed under Eaton & Deller's own brand as makers.
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

Return to “Classic Reels”