Is it worth converting Bogdan salmon to LHW?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

kakaryan
Guide

Is it worth converting Bogdan salmon to LHW?

Post by kakaryan »

So I got offered two Bogdan Salmon, i think a 00 and a 150, both in RHW but I want LHW........ :'(

With Stan and Steve both passed it became impossible to send it back for conversion. If I want to get it, and fish it as LHW, I may have to:

1. send it to other makers to have it converted. I know new internal parts for LHW are needed to be made, but actually, whtat parts?

2. Looking at the below picture it seems to me that a new hole is needed to be drilled on the sideplate, to install the dog pin on the opposite side (red circle), is it?

3. If so, does drilling a new hole to the sideplate affect the reel's/collection value?

4. When Stan and Steve did the conversion did they supply a new sideplate instead of drilling an additional hole to the exist one?

5. Is it worth doing the conversion? Or better leave it as RHW and just pass.

Thanks..

flyrodman
Master Guide

Re: Is it worth converting Bogdan salmon to LHW?

Post by flyrodman »

Agree with your number 5 post.
Ck your message

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

I’d go with your #5 point as well. Years ago when I first decided I wanted a Bogdan or similar reel I ended up buying the first good one that came along, at a price I was happy with. It was a RHW Maurice Noel and it was beautiful but as I was and am a left hand winder it just didn’t work for me and the reel was moved on? Thankfully I wasn’t out any money. With patience, I was eventually (months, not years) able to score an excellent LHW Bogdan and have purchased several since. They’re out there so have patience, contact dealers to let them know what you’re looking for and it will happen.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

#6. Learn how to reel right handed.

It’s not that hard. Will open you up to far more collectible reels at cheaper prices.

John

MG SPEY

Post by MG SPEY »

I would go with #5 or as said above #6.

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

Agree with option 6 if option 5 is not doable. I reel fly right handed and could easily switch to left. Hell, when I'm fighting a big fish I'm switching hands as needed anyway. Can't say that the same would be true for switching hands for spin or casting.

Low Profile

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Learn to make the piece you need. Not an easy option.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Don’t do it. You are lucky to have one. I’m still waiting for mine.

Return to “Classic Reels”