IWANE REELS

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

IWANE REELS

Post by fisherman911 »

So in my travels around the Internet I've found this brand of reels from China. They are priced in the middle $450.00 range, look good in pictures and have consistently good reviews from buyers. Has any one here had any experience with them? I know all the arguments about US vs. China manufacture etc. etc. . Just asking and thanks in advance.

ff4trout

Re: IWANE REELS

Post by ff4trout »

I think it's iwana. Like i wan a bogdan.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

These are the same reels that use to be for sale on eBay as Jaz & John reels. They are indeed made in China Bogdan knock offs, there was a thread on Speypages on those reels and some mentioned quality issues on the innards of the reel, etc. I think the one angler who actually bought one ended up returning it in the end.

I had a cousin who bought a modern looking fly reel on Ali Baba which came directly from China. It looked nice but the drag did not work it was either full on locked up or free spool. He found out the hard way and lost a nice salmon due to that issue. Basically it became a nice paperweight. So I think you get what you pay for in the end.

Slimpickens

Post by Slimpickens »

I took a chance; have been using it for a month or so daily, impressed with the quality.
And especially impressed with the “in honor of SE Bogdan” inscription inside the reel.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Those mentioned on the speypage are the Salmon model, Bogdan copy of the "train brake" design.

For the trout models, like the above one posted, with its very simple internals I doubt they could go wrong. Almost every makers did/copied such design, eg. Saracione Mark IV Trout. I wouldn't mind getting one to try.

Riseform

Post by Riseform »

I purchased the Trout and Wide Small Trout 2 months ago. The reels are very smooth and made well. I would say that they could charge more for the reels. I think the quality is on par with Peerless, but smoother. I have Carpenter Casey's and a Robichaud and the Iwana is smoother and made more solid.

If you are looking for a nice fishable reel with some style - Pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.

I needed to purchase a few 4-6 reels and these fit the bill with class. Glad I purchased them.

There is a return period (30 days) with the reels on ebay.

BTW I have heard the Salmon reels are the reel deal.

I have no financial interest in Iwana.

Andy
-Andy

Slimpickens

Post by Slimpickens »

I bought mine direct from China, free postage. They have a website, google Iwana fly reels.
Apparently the Iwana is a gamefish there…

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

I don’t know if the latest iteration of salmon reel is any different but two years ago a guide showed me two of the J and J Bogdan salmon reel copies that he had bought. One was unused and except for the lack of the nameplate could easily be mistaken for a Bogdan. The other had been used for part of one season. The anodizing was flaking off, the frame had major dents and was obviously made of a softer material than the original and the brake system had self destructed, jamming the spool, on the first big fish he hooked with it. Buyer beware about covers it.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Tough call here - this thread is walking a tight rope.

Iwane reels isnt here to fight back - perhaps the findings have been realized by the original poster and this thread will die off...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

I looked at the website, unless I missed it only saw Trout size reels and they look to be extremely well made. I'm first to say buy American if possible, if not go with what you can afford if the quality is acceptable. From what I saw I would not hesitate to purchase one, if in the market for a reel of that style.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Thanks to everyone who gave an answer to my question. Between the online posts and the P.M.'s I got I know what I need to know. Thanks again.

Return to “Classic Reels”